Haul out/Boat leaks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Haul out/Boat leaks

Post by jackryan »

I'm getting ready to haul the boat for the first time. I would like to get some ideas of what the faithful have done when they do the annual haul out. I'm going to have the bottom pressure washed and painted, have the zinc's changed, look for any through hull/transducer issues and check the general condition of the hull. I also seem to remember someone saying that you should exercise all of your through hulls and clean them with something.

Any suggestions as to what else I should have done while on the hard?

Also, when I step on the boat, the bilge pumps comes on and pumps a couple of gallons of water. Then when I get up on plane the aft bilge pump goes on for 20 to 30 seconds. My brother spent a while looking under hatches the other day and said the water was getting through in a couple of places: 1) A bit leaking in through the trim tab screws. 2) A drip from the rudder posts. 3) Dripping around the point where the engine exhaust hoses are connected at the transom.

I am planning on having all of these checked when the boat is hauled, but was wondering how I should address these problems. I was thinking about a bit of resin or glass in the bilge where the trim tabs are connected. Maybe re clamp the exhaust hose??? As for the rudder posts, do they need to be repacked annually?

As usual, thanks for the help.

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

You might be able to tighten the packing gland on the rudder posts otherwise repack them. Make sure you use regular packing and not teflon. They will only leak again.

I would think twice before glassing in the trim tab screws. You may need to remove them some day. I would remove the tabs and rebed them. Make sure you put something like 4200 on the screws when you put them back in. That should solve that problem.

You could clamp the exhaust hose but make sure its still good. If it looks old and dry I would replace them.

I am sure others have thoughts and will offer advice.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Tony,

Thanks for the heads up on the trim tab screws. What would you think about using some resin without fiberglass? Do you think it would stop the leaks around the screws and still make it possible to remove the trim tabs in the future?

I'll have the guy's in the yard take a look at the exhaust hose. Is changing the exhaust hose something you would attempt on your own?

Thanks again for the help.

JR
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Capt. Jack - no resin on the screws, just remove and re-bed with 4200 or 5200. Changing the exhaust hoses is a pain in the butt, get someone else to do it while you fly that Triple 7. My hoses leaked at the transom and just needed a few turns on the clamps to stop that...the rudder posts are perpetual leakers....just tighten them up and forget about it....a totally dry bilge is almost impossible. My bilge pumps cycle a couple of times a day...the front pump is the lowest point when the boat is at rest...when you get going the residual water runs to the stern and is pumped out by the aft pump - totally normal.

Do cycle all your thru hull valves and if any of them are stuck take care of it on the hard. If you can get a stuck one apart, some TefGel on the internal moving parts would do the trick for a very long time.

Next time you need a short haul, say to just pressure wash the bottom and change zincs, bring her over to the Tickfaw and I'll volunteer Andre's lift, right Andre? It will pick a B31 way up in the air.

I'm planning a speck trip to the causeway on Sat. with some camp neighbors on AJ, troll Rattle Traps along the pilings and drink Mint Juleps. Give Another Joy a holler on Ch. 16.

UV
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

UV is right about changing that hose yourself. I have done it and you need to be strong and have help. I did it when it was cold out and it sucked big time. Its warmer down there so it may be easier. pun intended
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

UV, Brewster

I took my 3 year old boy fishing with me a couple of weeks ago, and the next time I stepped foot on the boat I noticed that the aft bilge pump came on. This concerned me because, as you said, the forward bilge pump is at the lowest point. After a bit of investigation, I found that the little guy had been playing with my bilge pump switches, and turned the forward one from auto to off. I'm glad he didn't turn both of them off. Thanks for the advise on the trim tabs, through hulls and exhaust hose. Hopefully, the hose is in good shape and all I need to do is snug things up.

I've been wanting to take a trip up the Tickfaw to come see your place. I'll give you some warning, but I'd love to load the wife and kids up and take a cruise up there. Thanks for offering Andre's lift; what are friends for???

I fished the Seabrook bridge yesterday with some friends in town from Colorado. Caught 35 (small) specks and a couple of drum. Beautiful day, and they had a great time. They had never seen a 31 Bertram, but were very impressed with the boat. I would love to come do some formation trolling with you on the Causeway Saturday, but I'll be flying to Beijing in the Triple 7. I heard that they are catching some nice trout along the pilings.

Let me know when you are headed this way and we can go for dinner and clears.

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

They are right about that hose. If have the deck up and are pulling the whole thing apart it's not bad, but other wise a real pain.

On those tabs, like Vic said, just rebed them. Resin will just make you curse at some other point in time.

On the bilge pump issue, I can relate. Took a friend and his grandkids out one time. Next night we had a terribly storm, and I couln't figure out why my bilge was loading up with water and only the stern pump was kicking on until I realized the kid turned the switch off. Lesson learned, when I have anyone on the boat other than family, who know better, I make double sure I check all of the switches before leaving.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have had the same problem with the switches. I am going to put a guard on mine so that they will stay in the on position.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Out sharking on Sr's boat years ago with my bride to be, loads of chum in the water, lots of sharks in the slick. I go up front to make a sandwich only to see the front hatch floating.

I tell Sr in pretty calm manner...gotta small problem, the front hatch is floating. Gotta say he wasn't quite so calm. Anyway, he figured out he switched the automatic pump off, not sure why the others did not kick on.

Guess that is why I never installed a shutoff for the automatic.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Nooo problem, Jack. You can use lift anytime, just give me 20 minutes notice, or UV knows where the keys are.
Andre
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

i was amazed twice this summer with how much water a bertram can have in the bilge an not be a panic situation...once on a 28 once on my boat.