bench seat hinge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

bench seat hinge

Post by coolair »

I did a search, sorry to bring the topic up again.
But does anyone know where to get a set of the seat hinges like on the original bench seat,
thanks
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Only mention of the hinged back pieces, as I recall, was on the old bulletin board: http://www.bertram31.com/bb/bbs.cgi?noframes;read=59034

Pomponette is the manufacturer of the best hinge sections in aluminum. They don't show them on their website, but you can call for a suitable source. (603) 826-5791
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Wow, this just brought back a slew of memories. I forgot all about those old folding back bench seats on the bridge. When I was 8 years old my dad bought his first 31 SF, I loved that damn boat with the open cabin. But I just had a flood of memories of sitting on that bridge with my father either heading out or coming back in.

The best was when he would work the cockpit and let me steer while we trolled. Turned too quickly and tangled lines a few times, but that's how you learn fast. I still remember when I was at the wheel and we had our first white marlin hook up on that boat. 9 years old. Those were great days.

Sorry for to get all Proust up in here, but those bench seats are my madeleines.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thanks Capt.
i knew you would have the answer!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Coolair

I still have the bench seat on my 31. I am probably going to replace it with another bench seat. My hinges have had it also. Plus the covering has seen better day. I spoke with Pompenette. They no longer have the original hinge but they will build a seat using the new style hinge. They said figure about $1,000 depending on how I want it made.

The reason I want to keep the bench seat is that I took out the middle leg and put a tackle box under the seat. Fit perfect. I can stand on the engine box's and open the draws to get at tackle.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Tony
Did you happen to ask them what just the hinge would cost?
thanks
Matt
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I didn't. I figured that since my seat is original it would be time to go for a new one. Plus, going with one of the new styles would mean replacing them all. I figured not worth it.

Give them a call. They seemed pretty helpfull.
coolair

Post by coolair »

will do monday
thanks for info.
Mhiggins

Post by Mhiggins »

My buddy and his father redo restaurants seating and layouts and I asked him to replace the wood on my bench because it was really starting to get spongey. He said the braces and hinges were exactly like bar stools he does. He made the seat board thicker and matched the seat material great. I'll ask him monday who makes the hinges.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey Tony, I was wondering on your original bench portion of the seat, does it allow for the little doors to open all the way against the side of the bridge? Mine appears original, but does not allow for this. Maybe the original owner rebolted the bench closer to the helm wheel for more comfort?
Thanks, Rocky.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

No the doors hit the seat. Poor design I know. If I remember right, some time around 1980, I thought they split the door in half and put a piano hinge in the middle so it folded back on itself.

I might be wrong, but some how I remember them doing that.
coolair

Post by coolair »

$75.00 a piece
gotta call them in florida not the number capt. pat gave us. 949) 650-0310
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Tony, I thought almost for sure Bertram would not do that, but I guess that's what "new improved" designs are for. I love the idea of a bench seat behind a single helm seat. I know Alex Whitaker over my way(California) was working on fabricating aluminum systems when I bought my boat. They add persons, and space up there assuming your not going to have too many tubbies up there!
Rocky.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

Unfortunately that is the way they designed it. I know they made them that way for quite a while. We bought our boat new so I know its original.

Remember, way back their interest was building a good fishing boat. While they built a great boat, they missed some of the finer points. There is a compromise in every design unless you go custom.

I like the bench seat also. I know there are drawbacks to it but I am not a big person, so for me to jump out of the seat and down the later is not as much effort as it is for a big guy. I will say, I could do it in seconds about 25 years ago. For some reason I am not quite as nimble today as I was then. LOL