Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Recognize this power plant?????

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

REDNECK ALERT. WARNING: Not Safe For Anyone above the Virginia border.

Harry,
When I drove out to Texas to pickup the two KB Hemis for the funny car, the guy had a tractor he ran in the tractor pulls. 1800hp out of a 6 cylinder diesel.

If you like that vette, you'll love this:

SST (Diesel) - Super Stock Diesel Tractors
You might call the "Super Stock" an unlimited version of the "farm" appearing tractor classes. Although they may appear "stock" on the outside, but produce many times over their factory rated horsepower. As the name implies, diesel is the only fuel allowed in the Super Stock Diesel division. These IH and John Deere machines produce around 2,500 to 3,000 horsepower with their "stock engine" having up to four turbo chargers flowing the air mixture.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MlTQvOBsBOs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MlTQvOBsBOs&hl ... 1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Heres another with some pretty wild power plants, Allison, Rolls, Turbine, Hemis and diesel.

Whats really funny here is that most of the guys that run the circuit are real farmers who get the government tax dollar handouts to grow or not to grow and I'm sure some of the funds make their way into these million dollar + machines.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3eRru7LfMw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3eRru7LfMw&hl ... 1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Only thing better is an RC cola, moon pie and barking at the moon.

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Excellent! ! ! !

That's just the "FIX" that a power junkie needs.

When my children were young we would go to the "Tractor Pulls" when they came to our area. A side show was "Monster Trucks"....I don't understand why but the Monster Trucks gained popularity...never see a Tractor Pull around here anymore.

I really don't care for the Monster Trucks but I can watch Tractor Pulls all day long.......Brute Horse Power just gets my blood pumping

Remember Ed Roth....multi engine dragsters??

H
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Nice, a 6B vette.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

This is a sport?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mike wrote:This is a sport?
That's my thoughts bout chasing a little white ball or driving fast and turning left......

Only recently did I learn the object behind this sport called Football.....It must be all about money....in specific 25 cents......I noticed that at the beginning there are several guys that get together in the center of the field and they toss a coin......then for the entire remainder of the game they are chasing one another up and down the field screaming "GET DAT QUARTER BACK"!!!!!

H
hb
randall

Post by randall »

is it fast? thats really all that matters......even way out here. (they did close our racetrack and our drag strip however)
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

From my understanding,
Hunting, Shooting and Fishing are the only true "sports"
ie,as in sporting, the rest are just games

but that's from an Englishman.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Randall,

Tractor pulling is not fast at all. You just drag a sled with a load that moves forward as you move forward creating drag.

Who ever pulls it the farthest on a measured course wins.

Its brute power, strength and smell.

Think of power weight lifters after eating my wifes boiled cabbage.
they did close our racetrack and our drag strip however
Yea but you still have Billy Joel, right?
randall

Post by randall »

i was wonderin about the diesel vette.

some think it aint a sport if you dont keep score....but they never dropped into a triple overhead wave or fought a marlin.

then again ,the little white ball chasers keep score.
randall

Post by randall »

Yea but you still have Billy Joel, right?[/quote]

lately that would be......"demolition derby"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The Vette did mid 12s in the 1/4 mile.

Mid 12's equates to about 110 to 120mph.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

My F250 does 13's and it weighs 6000 lbs.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce wrote:Its brute power, strength and smell.
Plus emense personal satisfaction and adrenaline......

And the kicks keep getten harder to find....

H
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

And the kicks keep getten harder to find....
I know what you mean.
I stopped getting hit on in the mens room at the park.

I don't know about the personal satisfaction.
I somewhat hate about the 1/8 mile imploding a 50k engine with the fire suppression system going off to keep your chesnuts from roasting on an open fire.

One good thing about an aluminum block, it takes welding patches on it fairly well.

Like Mike once said, How do you make a small fortune in racing.....

Start with a large one.

That would make a great "T" for gear heads.

Off to the t-shirt shop........
gplume

Post by gplume »

Gotta love "gearheads". What a rig.....Waiting for comentary from Bob Lico on this one.

Thought you might like some more along the same lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5ntaTUYSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVA4qi1kx8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj7Fhyar ... re=related

.....I gotta admit, When I get a wiff of av gas...or Cam2...or any highlead fuel being run through an engine....I still can feel the heart start to race, and my hands start to sweat.....getting ready for the flag to drop (or shotgun to go off)....race time!!
Giff
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

That has to be the wildest thing I've ever seen done with an engine.

I see a sequel to Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, wild ride..you gettin ideas for denada...love the intake...and the injector pump...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Opps! ! ! !

I hate it when that happens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7_bHlQhd8

H
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well gif i try to stay out of these conversations due to self incrimination so lets say i have knowlege of a certain road running from queens ny into nassau county.at first just plane expensive factory modified cars .rules were no use of NO/2, no turbos and no superchargers and you had to drive your car to the starting point.then it went to bets in excess of 25,000 dollars and engines same as nhra pro stock.the guys would stage a accident to draw off the police then block any side roads with stalled cars.these drag cars were now funny car chassie with 1500 hp big block on cam 11 gas (110 octane ) at the time running 6 second quarter mile! made to look like a factory car.drag car was tow to a half block away and push until crowd was in view started up then shut down at line.they had staging lights all set up and portable christmas tree starting lights.170mph on the street was real dangerous any malfuntion ----your dead.and that exactly what happen only he took out a few spectators.police use choppers and a slew of cops patrolling to break it up .then we ran a nhra AA/ ALTERED on the street 210 mph world record holder in another area incrediable black streaks for a quarter mile and the smell of fuel again a staged car accident a mile away but you could hear those zoomie pipes for miles. crazy yes glad i am still alive to talk about it.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

nothing even remotely like that bob............but we used to go to the jones beach highway in winter to see how fast something really was. topped out every car and bike i owned there. flat sand on both sides for miles and completely deserted (most of the time)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall thats and old standby i tested all my cars /bikes there .when your by yourself there is no problem if you have a crowd there is no way to run from the law just one way in and one way out .i found out a white dotted line highway becomes a solid white at 130mph and at 152 mph what ever you see in front of you in a low height car you are there before you can react! that made me wonder how nascar racers can drive around a accident in front of them at 200mph? needless to say brakes are useless.btw. i want to give credit to pacers auto AA/ALTERED/FUEL in my former posti know it sounds incrediable to put a AA/FUELER on the street but this road was built in absolutely no traffic area for the fuel tankers to offload and put into 18wheel tank trucks. 4 lane highway perfectly paved down hill for 2miles.i won little eliminater C/GAS/SUPERCHARGED 1955 chevy with small block chevy/6-71 blower and injected.very differcult to run from the cops with that 2 gallon "moon" fuel tank up front and flip flop (cal) front end!!! they just laugh when i told them i was just a spectator.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

just out of curiosity....why not run at islip or westhamption? i won top eliminator with this bike...(the harley drag bike i ran against red lighted).

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You guys have some pretty wild stories. Kinda makes me feel like I did not give 100% in my day. Oh well, I had fun in the process.
This post just gives me a little more motivation to finish the old mustang project.
I just wish the new BOSS blocks were not so expensive. By the time you are done with all the machine work the rotating assembly is about 5K. Its what I will need in the long run. For now I will have to manage with somewhat stock bottom end.
Randall, great pics.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall
That bike sure brings back memories........

H
hb
randall

Post by randall »

its a yetman honda. the frame weighed 20 lbs. the engine was never designed to be a stressed member but what the hey. i built it from scratch in a no heat dirt floor garage in winter. ran in the nineties and low fourteens. not bad for a gas 305 in the late 60s. my kawasaki mach III was much faster right out of the box....new in 1969...$999.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall those people putting up the money were not the westhampton dragway type . that queens to nassau "professional " drag racing seen was finance with " south florida nose candy " those engines were $20,000 plus. very bad people. that was in 1965 and drag racing on the street was quite common for big block 396corvette,gto`s, 442, ford 427 fairlane,426 mopar stage111 wedge,and later on hemi/plymouth barracuda.police were almost non existant and 110 octane gas was easyto get and if you went to fairchild /republic 120 green gas 120 octane was available.on the water we" graduated from9'- 3point hydro with mercury hurricane 10 outboard to sk class boats 16' with hemi or 421 pontiac and zomie pipes.inboard with trans and monel shaft with two bladed props.wow they were dangerous no safeguards whatsoever.100mph in the bay what stupidity
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hol ma beer n watch dis! ! !

H
hb
randall

Post by randall »

thats pretty cool.........not like you could sneak up on it.
Bruce
Site Admin

For you that turn left and right.

Post by Bruce »

The wife with Saturdays 09 Rolex Grand Am race and season points winner in the Daytona Prototype. Heat index was over 100.

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I have to say....that don't even resemble any Pontiac I ever owned.....sleak ride....

H
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

When I met the wife she was driving a Pontiac LeMans with two speeds, parked and fast.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Lots of memories. Went to the Springnationals (I think that was it), and spent a fair amount of time at Westhampton. Spent alot of time at the MX track at Bridge for a couple of years.

I visited Sunrise Hwy (again, I think that was it) and Clearview to spectate, and we had a local place up on 25A that was fun pretty much every Fri. night between 11-12 (change of shifts).
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

For speed freaks <object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/ff4_125531197 ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/ff4_1255311975" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Isle of Man I assume Brewster?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31