Project with my grandson

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Project with my grandson

Post by Harry Babb »

Alan had a World History project. He is in the 8th grade and chose to construct a model of the Temple of Artemis.

He asked me to help.....naturally I was delighted to be involved.

Alans excitment and involvment really impressed me. We scaled the Temple down to about 11" X 24".

Although he did a report to compliment his model I am afraid he learned and was more interested in the math, construction, and wood working part of the project.

At any rate I am EXTREMELY proud of him as well as my other grandchildren.

Take a look ! ! !

H
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

That's looking great Harry, really now you know your just practicing for the trim work on the B31. Congrats to your grandson on his project.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Carl

Re: Project with my grandson

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote:
Although he did a report to compliment his model I am afraid he learned and was more interested in the math, construction, and wood working part of the project.

I think when they built the original they where more excited about the math and construction aspect as well.

Even though I can push a pencil, I opt not to...

Nice job!

What grade did you get...oops... what grade did Alan get??

I am astonished how they made those temples...
randall

Post by randall »

you better be careful......thats exactly what i liked to do at his age and i'm yet to have a real job.

thats really nice...A+
Garry

Post by Garry »

Randall,

You are my idle.....
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall wrote:thats exactly what i liked to do at his age and i'm yet to have a real job.
Funny you say that.....I am accused of not having a real job everyday......the people that know me say that I have to much fun to consider my work as a "Real Job"

The ones that don't know me have not figured out that everyday I come in to "Work" and play with all of my toys...lathes, mills, welders, computers......then when I go on the road to "Make Customers Calls" I am really just running around visiting my buddies.

It made them a little suspicious when I had to call on a customer in New Jersery and there just happened to be a "Bunch of Bertram Buds" gathering just a short drive away in Rhode Island.

Carl....Me and Alan.....I mean Alan is turning in our project today....in fact he just came by the shop and picked it up.....
You should have been around here during the Boy Scout "Pinewood Derby" days.....Chris worked really hard on that project:Wink Wink! ! !

H
hb
randall

Post by randall »

Garry wrote:Randall,

You are my idle.....

"idle"............ considering the situation.....thats pretty funny!!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry,

You DID let your grandson do the work right? Nice work...could be a design for the new boathouse on fish river....great to see young minds at work...sent you a pm..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry cherish the best part of life -----that is working,playing with your grandchilden it has so much impack i think about it all the time. i hope to god i live long enough for my grandsons to ask grand pa " grandpa could you build a engine for my hodrod" make my day!!! harry you are still my hero.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well the jury is back in.......Alan got 100 point for the project and another 10 points for turning it in early.

I did all of the radial arm saw and table saw cutting. Made me a little nervous letting him near, especially the radial arm saw. Alan presented the concept, drilled all of the holes, did all of the assembly and painting. He even provided a drawing for us to work by. He and I also worked to get dimensions to scale using AutoCad.

I do cherish more than life itself the time with my children and grandchildren......those guys are Top Shelf.....

H
hb
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

New Captain in training[img][img]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... titled.jpg[/img][/img]
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's cool Andre....

I spent many many hours with my Grandfather....special memories...I sure miss him

Likewise I spent many many hours and days and projects with my son Chris and my daughter Angie and we are all still best buddy's today.

And even further down the line I am an everyday part of the life of my "grandchirens"

These grand kids are my reward for not having killed their parents..LOL

H
hb