Potion for Plastic???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

Potion for Plastic???

Post by Harv »

I have the Floscan twinscan system on my boat, which includes 2 gauges for my rpm's and my fuel consumption. These gauges are covered by plastic lenses as opposed to glass. Through time, the plastic has retained water marks....there are no scratches in the plastic.

Image Image

I tried the 3M plastic cleaner/restorer that I use on my bimini top plastic with excellent results on the bimini, but not on my gauges. While at the AC Rendezvous, I noticed in the ship's store, a kit from McGuire's for plastic cleaning and restoration. However, decided that they could probably be found locally for a lot less than at AC. Still haven't tracked it down locally, but was curious if anyone has used this or has any reccommendations for clearing up the twinscan plastic?
Harv
bobfioresi

Post by bobfioresi »

Harv; Try some tooth paste and swirl it around with your finger. I have used it on some plastic surfaces and it worked. I sent you a 454 pump and xl bertram t shirt about 2 weeks ago. Did you get them? just wondering. BOB
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harv - try the 3M Fiberglas Cleaner & Wax, model # 09010. I've used it on a lot of hard clear plastic and it works good. Use just a little pressure and keep the surface wet - make sort of a slurry out of it.

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

bobfioresi wrote:Harv; Try some tooth paste and swirl it around with your finger. I have used it on some plastic surfaces and it worked. I sent you a 454 pump and xl bertram t shirt about 2 weeks ago. Did you get them? just wondering. BOB
Bob, they came in the middle of last week. I'll give you a call on Tuesday.
The pump was for a 454 Crusader. I picked up the Jabsco replacement for the Mercruiser and installed it on Saturday.
Harv
Buju

Post by Buju »

I've had great results with the novus plastic polishers / scratch removers... on a multitude of applications... haven't been disappointed yet.
http://www.noscratch.com/novus/
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Pledge might work I have used it before to clean screens on equipment
CTdave

Post by CTdave »

Most auto parts stores sell a product for polishing out the plastic headlight covers found on most cars these days. I bet this would work well for you.