Hawaii 31s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Hawaii 31s

Post by John F. »

My wife and I took a trip to Oahu and the big island a couple of weeks ago. The first day in Honolulu, we went for a walk by a marina, and sure enough, there was a B31 sitting there. We went over to the big island and to Kona, and there were probably 6 B31s there. Went back to Oahu, and up to the north shore (beautiful place), and there was a B31 in the marina there. The night we left we ate a Mexican place by Hawaii'kai, and there was a really nice yellow B31 there. That B31 had been redone, and the front and side windows had been 'glassed over. The "side windows" were really black stickers, making for what looked like a pretty solid house. Pretty trick. Anyway, pretty much anywhere you go, it seems you'll find B31s.

It was blowing 20-25 all week, and we got out one time in steady 6-8s. Got beat up, but got a nice mahi and a nice ono (wahoo). We didn't stayout to long--hard to work a 35' boat with 2 guys and a malfunctioning AP in those conditions. Hawaii is a pretty nice place--had never been before.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Sure is.. Theys some world records swimin around there for sure.
Wayne
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Just got back from Bermuda. We took a cruise. Never the less, there were 3 B31's that we saw. Speaking to the charter boat captain ( we went fishing), he said there is a doctor that owns at lease two maybe three.
A/K/A El Gaupo
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

John F.-

I wish you would have let me know you were headed to Hawaii! That was my stomping grounds from 2006-2009. When I was not deployed somewhere. Anyhow, I had my 25 bertram at Haleiwa harbor. That was the Marina you saw on the North Shore, Oahu. Yes, the North Shore of Oahu is always rough as HELL. My 25 did great and caught some good fish. The 31 on the North shore never moved while I was there. It belongs to one of the charter boat captains in the marina. I know at one time it was a legend. There were several trips in my boat which I sat with the EPRB and my survival radio right by my side attached. I have some great video of the rough seas but have been unable to post it. The fishing crews there are definitely not afraid to take a 20 ft boat out in some heavy seas. I posted one time on the 25' bertram forum about the following sea characteristics of my 25. Needless to say they all gave me an ear full but I don think I described the sea conditions well enough. I loved Hawaii and will never forget my duty assignment there. If anyone on the board is ever planning a trip over to Hawaii please let me know. I put over 300 hours on my old 25 there and logged several hundred flying over and around the beautiful hawaii chain.

-ANDY
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Here is the link to the charter outfit that ran the 31 bertram you saw.

http://www.kuuloakai.com/report.asp
opunui

Hawaii 31

Post by opunui »

John, wish i would have known you were coming over.When you were eating at CHA CHA CHA'S that was my yellow 31.the windows were shot in imron as was the volkswagon yellow hull.the top side was done pepsi white imron.the bridge was extended and raised 8" with a custom fiberglass splash shield.etc.etc

Aloha Bobby

"Chasin tail"
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bobby-

Your B31 is one of the nicer I've seen, and unique because of the side windows. I'd love to see some pics of the interior, and some of the exterior. Lots of nice touches as I remember. My buddy who moved out there has been telling me about your boat since he first got there.

Andy-

How's the Hatt? Glad you had a safe trip--she's a real good boat. I did a beach dive off of Sharks Cove. Hadn't gotten wet in 20 years, walked into the dive shop whil my wife was shopping, and the next thing you know...great dive.

John F.
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

John-

Boat is great! I have cleaned all the bilges, engine room, and CXd as necessary. Now I am fishing and enjoying! I lived about 5 miles from sharks cove glad you got to enjoy the North Shore.

-Andy
opunui

hawaii 31

Post by opunui »

John thanks for all the kind words. have your buddy call me some time he wants to go out.i'm not sure how to post pic's on this site.if you send me your email i will send some pic's.

still finishing up interior.

Aloha
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
randall

Post by randall »

i spent some time on the north shore and on kauai.....didnt fish.
scot

Post by scot »

Randall,
i spent some time on the north shore and on kauai.....didnt fish.
Did you surf the North shore?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

[img][img]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... 6D2130.jpg[/img][/img]

This is what I saw in hawaii, real close, too
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Little Closer shot!

AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Alot!
But I was fishing and you were working! Ha
Thanks.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

scot....yes.....and the west side and south shore too.....and all over kauai.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Randall-

I spent alot of time watching folks surf--mainly small waves near Waikiki. Told my wife that next time we go I want to take lessons and learn---the small wave kinda' low key surfing really appealed to me.

John
randall

Post by randall »

john....one of the most memorable things of the whole trip was the first time i surfed the south shore. there is this multistory mosaic on the side of the hilton hawaiian village. i had seen it many times in surf mags and movies. so i paddle out and there it is for real with diamond head off to the east....blew me away. the waves on the south shore are generally easy and playful and a lot of fun...but crowded.

lots of people told me to avoid the west side as it was fiercely local but i had some great days at makaha. a little humility and respect go a long way.

there are probably some fun surf breaks not to far from you.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Speakin' of surfing.......... Looks like your surf's gonna' be up early next week, Dude.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
randall

Post by randall »

there is already major buzz.
clay

East Coast Surf

Post by clay »

Eddie would go!