cleaning old formica

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

luis

cleaning old formica

Post by luis »

Before I start doing something foolish I like to ask if there are a way : chemical or magical, to restore the old formica to a more nice color? My formica are very dark brown and my first idea is to paint with toplac but ... if theres a way to remove the dark then, I prefeer to keep the nice wood looking. I already try (on a small piece) to sand and the result is not what I want.
Thanks and best regards
John F.

Post by John F. »

I cleaned mine with regular cleaner stuff--like Spraynine, and then on the advice of this board used Penetrol. It looked alot better. Don't leave the Penetrol on to long--it'll turn into a sticky mess and you'll have ot redo it.

When I redid my interior, I filled, sanded, and primed, and painted with Ivory Toplac. I really like the look.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

As said, Penetrol!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Liquid Gold-Can be purchased in a spray can at your supermarket in the furniture polish section. Spray it on, wipe it off. Immediate results. Walter
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

if you have even the faintest plan to paint your formica later on you may want to reconsider using anything that will be a pain to remove later on, products that give a quick easy gloss also will be a enemy to your paint.