Fishing with Renegado Mike / Cabo

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RussP

Fishing with Renegado Mike / Cabo

Post by RussP »

Linda & I spent last week in Cabo and La Paz enjoying life and fishing. We planed to fish 2 days in Cabo with a local panga captain, DR Pescado. We fished with him before and always had a great time and caught more fish with him than the high priced Pices Fleet 31's. We checked in our room at the Fiesta Marina Resort and were sitting on the deck watching the fleet return when I spoted Mikes 31 pulling into A dock. Later on I went for a walk and found his boat, gave him a shout and he came up and opened the gate. We had a few beers and he showed me his boat from top to bottom. Mike is the nicest guy, an amazing fisherman and a wealth of information as Linda & I are planning to move to Baja. He invited us to join him on a personal trip on Monday with his nephew, he wanted to stock up his freezer with Tuna while they were running. I felt bad but canceled one day with Dr Pescado and joined Mike on a tuna hunt.
Mike is one of the few charter operations that uses electronics to help find fish, most captains use landmarks, as most of the fishing is just a few miles from shore. We pulled out around 0630 and headed to the golden gate on the Pacific side with around 5 or 6 other boats hugging the shore line to stay out of the wind. As usual the 260 Cummins pushed his 31 to the head of the fleet and we were one of the first to arrive and start looking. Having a good bottom machine made finding the schools easy and kept us on them as they chased the baitfish. Linda hand painted 2 cedar plugs one Dorado and one red & white and the mate Christian put them right out in the spread. After about 15 minutes of trolling Mike said everybody put a belt on were ready to fish. He counted down 3 2 1 now and the first rods to go down were the ones with the hand painted plugs with the other 3 rods right behind.
The action continued for around 5 hours I can't remember how many we caught ranging from 10 to 35 lbs released the small ones and kept the limit of 20 for the boat. Mike goes the extra mile and had 3 coolers with brined ice water to keep the fish fresh after bleeding. I know I don't have to tell you guys how good sashimi is when it's a few hours old.

If anyone is planning a trip to Cabo hooking up with Renegade Mike is a must and well worth the price of admission. He'll help you with making room arrangements, rental cars, and local info.

Still got Baja on my mind,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Russ,
We have a trip planned in october with Mike. We can't wait! I'm looking forward to check out his boat, hoping to get some more ideas for Reel Cowboy.
Thanks for the update.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

As well so do I a day ahead of John. 53 days as a matter of fact!

On the beach John!

Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
coolair

Post by coolair »

My wife just got back from spending a week there with the kids with out me! wish i could go fishing with you guys, i hate work
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

So quit that pesky job and come along! I have room for you!

M

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Yep...work sucks...let's go fishing instead.
What's up, Mark?
We can't wait!
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
coolair

Post by coolair »

Hopefully by october things will have slowed, and i might just meat yall down there, thats what i told her, i want to go in October, butt NOOO got go now. thanks for the invite!
coolair

Post by coolair »

i ment meet, sorry haha
renegademike

Post by renegademike »

The bigger tuna have moved in earlier than normal for the Cabo area. We got into yellowfin tuna up to 150lbs recently.
Several boats are hooking fish over 100lbs everyday.

Hey Russ had a great time hanging out with you. Give me a buzz next time your in town.

Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey Mike,

You are a renegade brother. I know your enjoying those Tuna's Bro. You Da-Man.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Both Mike and his boat are top notch, for sure.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Hey Mike that last picture is my buddy Warren Wong! How the hell did you get out of the harbor without him eating all the bait? I am sure the head went for soup!

Did he bring you any of that Chinese gasoline they drink? Don't smoke while you drink it!

He is a beauty! (Nice fish too)

Mark