killa

deck support

Post by killa »

capt pat can u tell me how u fabed support from stringer to joist
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The joist were made using 1/2" plywood to form an I-beam, with the vertical member being inset into the dados of the horizontals. Then they were epoxy glassed fully and capped with structural fiberglass channel.

The stanchons are fabricated from 1" square structural fiberglass tubing, a flat fiberglass top plate, and a form fitted fiberglass saddle to fit over the stringer. The saddles were made as a single long piece and then chopped into the individual sections. There are 2 stanchons per side, with the ends of the joists being tied to the deck ledger aft and the tank/engine bulkhead forward.

The structural fiberglass is from McMaster-Carr

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
coolair

Post by coolair »

OK, just had the hatch support break, the piece that runs between then engines, from front fuel tank bulk head to door bulk head. its 1 3/4x2 1/4 with a notch cut into it and a piece of 3/4x3/4 screwed in, what do i use to replace it, wood? is the cosa board or other stuff strong enough,
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

About 3/4 the way down the thread is my solution to the companionway support system: Structural Fiberglass and Coosa Board

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
coolair

Post by coolair »

GOT IT, looks cool, i dont know if i can do that right now with out redoing the hatch cover too, what kinda of wood is used in the original construction?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

The hatch plates here are stock Glass Tech style, but are basically the same size as the original Bertram plywood plates. There'd be nothing to do to the hatch plates because you'll configure the rails to match the plates.

The original wood that Bertram used was solid mahogony pieces, which was a mistake because solid lumber won't support the 50" span.

What really gives these rails their strength is the laminated 1/2" Coosa board verticals. Once glued and screwed, the structure is very light and exceptionally strong. The ends are supported by a ledger of 1" square SFG aft and two "U" shaped brackets forward; also from 1" SFG.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
coolair

Post by coolair »

OK, i dont know mine hatches just seem alittle wider than the glass tech, i am going to have to take the side engine covers off and study it a bit, i get what you are saying though. your pics a great help. thanks