Flybridge seating - JK?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Flybridge seating - JK?

Post by John F. »

JK-

What did you wind up doing for FB seating? I have the original bench (which is about done), and would like something like a nice helm seat on the centerline for me and maybe seats with folding backs on either side.

Any ideas?

Anybody else?

John F.
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

John
3 seats on the bridge of a B31, the impossible dream. We got rid of the bench years ago and have tried to do what you are looking to do. We had jump seats but that was not really great.
We currently have a helm seat and 2 side seats. The helm seat is OK, the side seats are tolerable. You absolutely cant have a major helm seat with arms, just not enough room for the 2 others.
I dont know where you are located, but if near central jersey you can come by and take a look. I am going fishing tomorrow, and can take pictures if you would like to see.
I think that a custom bench with a mounted helm seat that slides may be the best option. You can also have some storage too.
Its been a 30 year bugaboo, and if you hear of any other ideas I would like to see them.
Good luck
Jeff
John F.

Post by John F. »

Jeff-

If you could take some pics., that'd be great. Thanks.

John F.
Hal

Post by Hal »

The best I've seen was a bench seat integrated into the back of a tower and hanging over the back of the flybridge's floor. This allowed the captain's seat to be large and comfortable and still accomodate a couple extra folks up top.

Think of it as a rumble seat of sorts.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

John, Drop Capy a line. He has some double wide helm called, I think, a 5 star, I thnk he also has the jump seats built into the rear rail(I maybe wrong about that, and saw it on another 31). Good system, very comfy for everyone.
thudddd
Dug

Post by Dug »

John,

I saw a great set up on Starship last year, and copied it. I love it, and Liz really likes the fact that she can finally sit on the flybridge when we are running, vs. the single center seat I had for years.

Send me your email and I will shoot you a couple of pictures of what he did.

I also copied the rocket launcher, and it all worked out really well.

Dug
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have two kids (12 & 14) that like to sit with me on the FB when we're running--so I'd like to accomodate that. Plus, I like something a little better for me than the bench seat.

Doc and Jimmy G. both have the rumble seat set-up, which looks great. But, to do that, I'd need all new pipework, and my kids would be behind me instead of next to me (maybe not a bad idea considering their ages and sometimes attitudes-but I digress).

Anyway, any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I'd really like a tournament/command bridge like Charlie H. as on "The Road." But, ........

John F.

Dug- e-mail on the way. Thanks. Hope everything is working out with Alchemy.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

I will take photos this weekend of what I did, single helm seat and a rear bench similar to Capy.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
I used a plain old tood bench seat just large enough for 2 people. I rather stand if it's not flat to save my back. I have been looking at capys 5 star seat looks great.
Frank
CaptDana

Hyena wins in the bridge department

Post by CaptDana »

Well guys--I know UV wont like to hear this one--but this is where I feel the 28B wins---I removed my bench in the 28 B--fab'd an arch across the hatch--installed a nice pompanette- and still have plenty of room for bench seats on each side of the bridge (jump style - and or 2 more helm chairs---(offset)-- (had to move my bridge rail back 6 inches also)
Dana Bonney
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

John, sell your B31 and buy my B35 then you'll have all the brige room you want and a saloon to boot. It just uses a little more gas than you do ;)

Good luck, what about the window project???

br,
JohnD
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

John
Your e mail address is not listed. I have some pictures of the bridge for you. If you don't want to post it, send me a pm through the board. It didn't look like I could attach the pics to a pm to you.
Jeff
John F.

Post by John F. »

Jeff

My e-mail is jlfslf@verizon.net. Thanks.

John F.
JK

Post by JK »

John-

We had that bench seat made for about $450 and got a steal on the chair for about 250. Still have not made up the little side cushions but I think it will seat 3 people fine, especially going slow or when fishing and looking aft. The bench seat could have been made from the smaller diameter aluminum and therefore allowing for tighter radius and corners and giving more flat surface area for the side seats but this is what we got when trying to describe our idea to the tower guy over the phone. Remember the 1/2 tower does have the little bench seat (that has been modified by the tower people on recent projects) but it's really to rest a cheek on. Pretty sure there are pics on my photo album on thehulltruth.

--JK
Ric

Bench seat

Post by Ric »

I had bought Dugs old bench seat that was shot,,,but stripped it out and took all original hardware. and then used 1 inch ply marine and fabricated new seat and backrests new foam and vinyl and reworked the support system.,.,.,whatever you do dont throw out that original hardware''' strip it out ,,,My bench is better than factory and i had timmy and andre beside me and vice versa all the way from oak bluffs and i never heard a word about being crampt,or tight ,,,,if i knew how to scan a picture into this page i would post it however.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. :(
craig mac

Post by craig mac »

i am planning on doing my bench seat over this winter---will probably try to fabricate new angle brackets where it attachs to the bridge---and raise the seat about 2 " ---need just a touch more height.

also, not sure if its in the boat building tips section, but Capt Patrick sent me a e-mail on constructing pvc seating cores at one time.
JC

Post by JC »

Would like to share some pics of the seating on our boat "White Marlin" for more ideas...

We have a bench seat that is part of the tower.... I have never seen that design but I simply love it!!! It alows 2 or three to seat there plus the captain at the helm seat..... It makes the bridge seem roomy as the seat is behind the bridge floor....

Let me know if you have questions...

Entire boat...

Zoom if bench seating....

.. another pic with us on top...

JC