1st Place Bayshore Mako Tournament - 204.5 lb Mako

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Simple Gesture

1st Place Bayshore Mako Tournament - 204.5 lb Mako

Post by Simple Gesture »

Fished the Bayshore Tournament Saturday, June 27, 2009. We fished on my dad's 31' Bertram, Happy Time, about 40 miles SouthEast of Fire Island. Had tons of life all day but no fish. Had a knock down around 9 am and that was it. Until just before 4pm, my brother spotted a fin off the slick. Fished turned toward the slick, 2 minutes later took a bait and within 15 minutes we had the Mako boatside, gaffed and in the boat. Ran the boat pretty hard to get in for the weighin. Made it to the dock with 10 minutes to spare. When we got there a 197 was already on the scales and a 149 was just being weighed. We weighed ours and won the Mako tournament with a 204.5 lb Mako. Below are pics from the tournament.

John
Simple Gesture

Image[/img]
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
way to go, congradulations
John F.

Post by John F. »

Congratulations.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Oh Yeah...well I had Mako for Dinner the other night!!

Congrads, nice catch!!

Another notch in the 31 Bertram belt.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

somebody mention the win was worth 52,000 is that true ? with the knowlege of the hudson tourn. and the great gun tourn. the same day you had some odds against you. good show, next year i will be out there.i was in the oakdale tourn out of respect for oakdale yacth we had a 205 lbs mako 5 miles north of the coinbra wreck . 38' jupiter couldn`t wait to get back to my 31 bert.!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Nice fish. Our neighbor just got a 400 on Saturday in the east part of the monster ledge. Neil
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

luckely it was the oakdale yacth owners boat because after attaching the tailrope he went wild and roll up in the wire . the wire to cable crimp and possibly the mako`s teeth did damage to the port side of the boat some gouges thru the custom metalic paint into the glass layup and deep scratches thru the gel cote . 5 hours on a brand new boat and have to paint one side to match -----glad it wasn`t mine. walterk you will like this ;custom "bumped" triple 400hp yamaha on the trasom and the maximun speed we could attain was 13 knots in very close waves i could not go trough to trough and let it slide on the wave crest just beat the hell out of that 38' jupiter.so much for a 64mph boat!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Nice!!! and all in a 35+ year old boat! Congradulations.

My dad always told me.."I've never seen a fish yet that was caught going 40mph"

If the 31 was fast enough to make the weight in, that is fast enough to bring home 1st place, again...nice!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harv

Post by Harv »

bob lico wrote:luckely it was the oakdale yacth owners boat because after attaching the tailrope he went wild and roll up in the wire . the wire to cable crimp and possibly the mako`s teeth did damage to the port side of the boat some gouges thru the custom metalic paint into the glass layup and deep scratches thru the gel cote . 5 hours on a brand new boat and have to paint one side to match -----glad it wasn`t mine. walterk you will like this ;custom "bumped" triple 400hp yamaha on the trasom and the maximun speed we could attain was 13 knots in very close waves i could not go trough to trough and let it slide on the wave crest just beat the hell out of that 38' jupiter.so much for a 64mph boat!!!!
Bob,

Just goes to prove the old adage.
You can only go as fast as Mother Nature lets you.
It's like owning a Bughatti Veron and driving on the LIE.
Speed limit is only 55 mph.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harv i try every trick in the book but could not make headway.boat has 4000.00 woth of damage the fiberglass/painter started on it today.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Leave the Mako gauges there as a badge of honor! Save the $4000 repair till after you get a bunch of them. I learned the hard way that big fish, flying gaffs, gin poles, wire leaders and big hooks usually create a degree of hull and combing damage...unless you don't catch anything. Just his luck to go out after the repair and get a bigger fish. A big blanket over the whole side might be a solution.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Battle scars on a boat are fine with me and give a boat character.
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Speaking about Shark Tournaments...seems to me that this year's crop of winners are small in comparison to what they used to be. A 211 lb Blue shark a tournament winner? A Montauk tournament with NO Makos? More Threshers but not really big ones in comparison to yesteryear. A bad sign.
Bob, the Porbeagle used to be the first shark we used to get off Montauk in the spring. A colder water shark that used to follow and feed off the spring Mackerel run (of which we have very few now). Fights and tastes like a Mako but is more grey/brown. Nice to hear there are still one or two around. First I've heard of in at least 20 years.
Harv

Post by Harv »

It's about time that "Happy Time" earned it's keep.
Just kidding John.

Couldn't have happened to a beter bunch.....Way to go!!
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i broke tommy`s ba-ls about the battle scars so he had the glass guy/painter bring it back . sissy what can i say however the boat is a beautiful fine matalic blue and will be sold within the year.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, Last minute heroics, nocked em off with a classic...Congrats to you and your crew...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?