Find of the day...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Find of the day...

Post by CaptPatrick »

I know that many of our group are DIY'ers and figured that I'd be lax in duties if I didn't pass this product along to you.

The product is called Probite Push Plumbing Fittings, and while I just found them and haven't had "Hands On" yet, you can bet they're high on my list in the near future...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
raybelanger

find of the day

Post by raybelanger »

Pat Being a plumber by trade I've used them a few times, pretty nifty . but wouldn't trust them for anything boat related. too much issue with corrosion of inner grip ring. but they work great in household apps. Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ray,

No boat intentions at all... Right now I'm fighting with re-re-re-designing a workable plumbing and treatment system to keep my hard water deep well from eating my appliances up. Mainly my propane fired tankless water heater.

Glad to hear someone say they've actually used the ProBite. Have you tried them with CPVC or PEX? I thought the inner ring grip was some sort of plastic...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
raybelanger

find of the day

Post by raybelanger »

Pat Have used them mainly with pex don't use much pvc for pressure water pipe. Use mostly copper & pex for water dist. Your water heater probably needs the ph kept close to nuetral to keep from self destructing. Pex piping should hold up to any hardness or ph problems. You should look for cross-linked material some mfrs. sell inferior product. Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks, Ray...

I've got the "Hey, Culligan Man" coming in the morning to test the water. My ph will be on the low side due to limestone in the area and my hardness will probably be around 7-10 gpg & I'm pretty sure that there's either an iron or manganese factor judging by my toilet bowls.

The care and feeding of these tankless water heaters makes me long for the old electric tanks... Later this year, I'm going to to install a passive solar batch heater. Got any recomendation for a descaling liquid for the tankless heater? Bosch AquaStar 250SX LP

Also, what's your opinion on the electronic descalers, like EasyWater?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pat,
Check into the products used for descaling commercial ice machines.

I've used them before. Like most descalers they are mildly acidic so wear gloves.

If you need it you should be able to get a water softener system at the home stores for around a grand. Don't go with a systme from a "water treatment company".

Remember Mann worked for Rainsoft for years. Installed system was 5 to 6K. Of that the system cost was a grand or less, The rest was sales commissions and installation costs.

He made 2600.00 on every system he sold.

Those tankless water heaters are the bomb. I've installed them in all my kins homes down here and my brother has them in all his homes and loves them also.

I would install it in my house but being electric I would have to upgrade the wiring to the heater due to higher amperage. I'm already maxed out on the drop line feed.

They won't let me put in a 300 amp service. My application to build a home nuke palnt was turned down.