Refrigerator for boat... need advise

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Refrigerator for boat... need advise

Post by IRGuy »

I am getting ready to install the new cabinets I built for the main cabin on my B33, which are replacing the original cabinets that the previous owner had ruined.

The old original built-in U Line refrigerator no longer cools.. and I need to install a new unit. New similar built-in units cost in the $700 range and up, but I can go to an appliance store and buy a regular small home unit for less than $200. I have shore power and a generator so I don't need a unit that runs on 12 volts.

Is there any reason that I can't us a regular home unit as long as I secure it so it does not move, and leave space around it for air circulation?

Would appreciate all comments! Thanks.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Frank,

Absolutely no reason not to, what so ever... The freezer section is usually not worth a damn and will frost over regularly, so you might want to opt for one that doesn't even have the freeze compartment. That's what's being installed in the B31 I'm working on...

Br,

Patrick
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I replaced the frig on my B28 with a $100 bar frig from Home Depot. It looks good and has worked perfectly for something like 4 years now.

I have shore power only so I keep a couple Blue Ice packs in the freezer section to help keep it cool when I'm away from the dock.

Last edited by STeveZ on Jun 30th, '09, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

IR Guy, When I got my boat 14 years ago it had the original "Ice Box" which was being used for tackle and storage by the prior owner.

I ripped that out and thought for some time about whether to spend several hundred for a Marine AC/DC frigde. Money was tight and I decided if I could get a couple years out of a home unit I would be happy.

Paid a bit over a $100.00 for the unit at Sears, even went so far as to take out insurance which would cover a new replacement if "Anything" went wrong within thrre years. 14 years later and all that has gone wrong is the unit shuts down when the dock loses power, that used to be a fairly common occurance in my marina. Loss of power only seemed to happen when I left bait in the freezer and always seemed to happen on the hottest days... so I stopped doing that.

I actually prefered having just AC even then as I would have had the fridge drawing on the batteries.

Fridge stays could for a good 6-8 hours if well packed and kids are not in all the time.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks Pat, Steve and Sim! Tomorrow I will buy a 4.4 cu ft unit for $180 and have $520 left over to buy beer and pretzels with! (And another check for Capt Pat!)

Just another confirmation as to how great this site is!
Frank B
--------------
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

I use a regular G.E. 115V A/C 4.3 cu ft fridge with the Mickey Mouse sized freezer compartment.........reckon the iced over freezer plate helps keep the beer in the fridge cold when off the power and out fishing all day on my B28.....................holds 2 cases + of canned beer.......at least you won't have to take your cabin door off your B33's salon to get the fridge into the galley !
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Preston...

Thanks for your input as well!

The tracks for the sliding door to the main cabin were worn and the aluminum framed glass door itself needed to be repainted, but instead of rebuilding the original setup I decided to build a new door out of teak, which is now temporarily installed until I get back to varnishing again.

I made the new door before I removed the old door and all the framing, and realized the lockset I had bought needed to be installed so close to the edge of the new door that it would be off center if I mounted it in the old opening. My solution was simple.. I made the cutout for the new door 2" wider than the old one was.. so my new door is now centered, and 2" wider than before. Even less clearance problems now!
Frank B
--------------