Propylene Glycol

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Woods

Propylene Glycol

Post by Harry Woods »

Airmar recommends the use of Propylene Glycol for in-hull transducers. Garmin and Worst Marine have no idea where to get it. They say mineral oil was eating the bedding compound and is no longer used. I was told that the red non-toxic antifreeze used to winterize boats is as close as I am going to find to this chemical. Does anyone have any idea where to get it or if the red stuff will work? Thanks
Harry
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Thanks Capt. Patrick.
Harry
coolair

Post by coolair »

Its the pink anti freezer, Oreilly auto parts carries it. its like 4 buck a gallon they call it RV antifreezer. just bought some for the transducer last weekend
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Coolair,
Thanks for the feedback. I will pickup a Gallon this evening. I have the transducer laying on the bildge floor with a sandbag holding it in place. I am amazed at the readings I am getting without the housing and liquid. I guess that I should have replaced my 16-year old unit a long time ago. I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the age of marine network automation.
Harry
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya i have yet to take mine out for a full trial, my bro is gonna give the once over, he uses a straight 1kw 200htz through hull furuno and can pick up the bottom really well for commercial fishing, so once he checks it out we will see if it is a good as everyone really says they are, I have heard nothing but good though. so we will see.