Teak cleaning

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Teak cleaning

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

AJ has a limited amount of exterior teak, just the cabin door, rear window frames, and cockpit trim and step, but I've fought it for years. It will clean up okay, but the teak oils I've used blacken pretty quickly in the Coonassland heat and humidity. At the suggestion of Walter K I tried the Tip Top Teak system for the first time. I used the granulated cleaner, which I disolved in warm water since my surfaces are all vertical. I sprayed the solution on from a small hand pump up sprayer, which turned out to be a neat way to do it. The cleaner works better than any other I've used. The bleach is about the same as the others, and works real well. I sprayed it too. The real deal is their teak oil.....very thin and can be applied with a paint brush without globbing up. Put 3 coats over a few days and my teak has never looked so good.

I bought the stuff from Hamilton Marine in Maine as an afterthought when I was buying zincs.....never use anything else again. Thanks for the tip, Walter.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic-You can now order their products at www.tiptopteak.com. Glad my formula worked well for you. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Thanks Walter, yeah it works like a champ. Hamilton's prices are about 5-10% less than ordering direct from tip top.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Vic,

I love Tip Top Teak. Stuff is awesome. Just rinse it with soap and water periodically after oiling, and throw on another coat. It will last a while.

Wierd enough, I even love the smell. Reminds me of summer and times on boats with teak growing up.

D