Engines Are In...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

Engines Are In...

Post by Bob H. »

Both Engines are in...glassed in the shaft tubes this weekend...nice to be moving in the right direction. BH

Image[IMG]
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Very pretty...and you'll be very glad.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yep---- relocated fuel filter and oil pan drain hose .i think i created a long post on this procedure thank you for the photo i hope all of the cummins installation follow this. great job smart installation.put the 1/2" spacer block between block and left motor mount now so maintenace of sherwood pump becomes a piece of cake.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

in the bag attach to the motor is a dip stick relocation kit .port engine will have dip stick looking at you the same as starboard.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Looks sweet. Youll be hoppy
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Thanks for the tips Bob...made custom mounts so the raw water pump can be removed without messing with the mount...Here is a picture of the pair...

1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Looks great. Need to take that belt guard off while you can.

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

UV, My Bad picture was @ test fit, JP and Bob Lico noted the belt guards too, they came off before paint....thanks again for everyones help. BH
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Looks great, who did the cockpit floor ?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bertramp, Ocean Innovations on Long Island made the cockpit floor, one piece from cabin bulkhead to transom, step up design.

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Sweet
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bob-

Nice to see the project progressing. Looks great. Got a question for you, look for an email...

Giff
Giff
jziegler

Post by jziegler »

I'm still trying to figure out the Cummins engines so here it goes:

1. What HP are these engines?
2. Is the tube on the top right of the engines the after cooler?
3. Is the small tank w/ fill cap on front of engine the fresh water cooler for the after cooler?
4. What is difference between 6BT and 6BTA?

I know that 210 HP does not have heat exchanger, 250 HP has fresh water cooled heat exchanger, and 315 has raw water cooled heat exchanger. I'm guessing that the A in BTA means after-cooler.

Also, if I go with 210 Reman Cumins 6BTs, what is the exact model of the ZF gears I need? What is the down angle?

I would really like to see pics of all the different Cummins 6BT and 6BTAs so I can finally understand.

Thanks much. Joe Z

BTW-These pics look great and I hope to be at this stage in one year or less w/ my 1962 Express (no longer for sale).
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Joe wrote:1. What HP are these engines?
2. Is the tube on the top right of the engines the after cooler?
3. Is the small tank w/ fill cap on front of engine the fresh water cooler for the after cooler?
4. What is difference between 6BT and 6BTA?
1. My guess is that the engines pictured are 300+ horse power
2. The Horzional tube mounted on the right hand side of the engine, next to the exhaust manifold is the "Engine Heat Exchanger"
3. The small tank with the filler cap is simply an "Expansion Tank" it has no internal working components
4. The 6BT is the Cummins 6 Cylinder...The "B" Series (5.9 Liter?? I think) and it is Turbo Charged.......The 6BTA is all of the above with the addition of a Turbo Aftercooler.......the Aftercooler is shown in the pics above as the sort of Triangular shaped thing(3 Bolts on the cap) mounted vertically and sits on the left side of the engine behind the injector pump....notice that the aftercooler is attached to even another heat exchanger...that's the "Gear Cooler"

I think that most folks use the ZF 220 A...10 degree down angle but there are other trannys that will work just fine

The engine featured in this post is a 6BTA....I do not have a pic of a 6BT but I am pretty sure some one here does.

Hope this helps

Harry
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

My 210's look exactly like that with the exceptions that there is no aftercooler and the spin-on fuel filter is positioned further back(towards the stern) from the injecter pump, and lower.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks like my 270's.

6BT = Turbo

6BTA = Turbo aftercooled

You will find that Cummins uses this block for a whole series of their engines. I believe it starts with the 210 like Walter has and moves up inton the high 300 to 400 HP range.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

JZ, 5.9 6BTAM3, 370 HP, 1996-97, Diamond Series. Total Reman top to bottom. Ran em on dyno after reman, then pickled them, hope to hear them roar again next summer. Bob Lico can give more details on the 300-370 hp 5.9s, after 300 I believe mostly internal modifications larger injectors, pumps, bearings etc., to give more rpm range. BH