Hot Wiring?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Preston Burrows

Hot Wiring?

Post by Preston Burrows »

Recently I've noticed a fuse at my B28's main distribution panel being 'warm' when compared to the rest of the panel's fuses when energized................ not smoking hot to the touch but noticeably warm.....

It's the main fuse for my starboard engine's power, which 'controls' the starboard engines starting circuit and engine gauges along with the horn and aft bilge pump.

Usually it's fused by a 20amp fuse, so yesterday when I ran the engine at the dock I installed first a 10amp fuse and then a 15amp fuse to see if whatever load was on the fuse would blow the circuit......................the circuit did not blow, however it was still noticeably 'warm.'

Excepting to 'monitor' the fuse and wait and see what problems may develop/ensue how would I trouble-shoot or isolate the cause of this?

All wiring is 1976 Bertram original.Did someone say re-wire?

I'm hoping to avoid meeting Mr Murphy about this and would prefer to meet his distant cousin first.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Warm fuses are usually a sign of a poor connection at one end or the other in the fuse holder.

Snap in fuse holders corrode and also spread not keeping proper pressure on the metal ends of the barrel.

It could also be the wire connection to the fuse holder. Resistance will build up heat without blowing the fuse.

On old fuse holder mounting material as it ages the material compresses where the rivet holds the clip. This allows the whole thing to become loose. Another spot to look for.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Cheers Bruce.................yesterday I re-crimped the wire ends that connect to the fuse holder as well as cleaning out the fuse holder itself with a small pipe style wire brush.....................everything's cool again now !

Whenever you are in Nassau again please feel free to look me up, it would be my pleasure to meet you in person !
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285