Cummins 6bt Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jziegler

Cummins 6bt Question

Post by jziegler »

Hi All,

I know this is a "tourist" question but here it goes. The Cummins 6BT 5.9 comes in several horsepower. I want to put a pair of 210s in my B31. What is the difference between these engines on ebay and the 210 versions? Can you modify them easily to reduce horsepower?

Second, what is the exact model # of the transmission I would need on the 210 HP Cummins 6BT. I know it is a ratio of 1.5:1 but how do you specify exactly what you need. Twin Disc Velvet Drive Model ?????.

I'm trying to put the pieces together. Thanks. Joe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cummins- ... tsupported
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Joe - the various models of the Cummins 6Bs cannot have the hp raised or lowered by bolting on or unbolting stuff. There are many internal components involved such as the pistons, valves, cams, injectors, injector pumps, etc.

The 210 is turbocharged but not aftercooled...the 250 is both turboed and aftercooled, but the aftercooler is fresh water cooled...the 300 is turboed and aftercooled but the aftercooler is sea water cooled and so forth up the hp ladder to the current 480 hp which is probably a bomb ticking.

The 370 on ebay is missing some major parts such as the heat exchanger (large $ item) and the starter.

Cummins sells reman 210s (think they call them 220s now) that are new engines sold as remans to get around the EPA crap. My view is the 250 (now called the 270) is a better choice for the B31 as the 210s don't have quite the "oomph" the hull needs.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

The difference between the 250's and the 270's is that the 270's have the Bosch fuel pump which boosts the HP. I just had the discussion with the Cummins dealer doing my job. He just rebuilt a couple of 250's for his boat and we got on the discussion of the difference's.

I asked him why he wouldn't just change the fuel pump. His answer was $3,000 per pump. Ouch.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ouch is right...damn expensive 20 hp.....

UV
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Is there a differance in the 210/220 fuel pump/horsepower?
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Not sure how they get the other 10 on that one. Maybe Bruce knows, but at the price of a pump, 10 Hp is not worth the dollars.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i explain the entire subject to you in a prior post . your 270 hp cummins and a 250hp from years ago have nothing in common except the fluid damper ( harmonic balancer) and white paint!!! 210hp, 250 hp, and 300 hp cummins from the golden era when everybody paid taxes and 6-71 detroits we " in" that era is gone with the wind . you have a entirely differant engine the injection pump is just one small part of it.when you brake down the two engines the first thing that hits you is the cylinder heads they don`t even resemble the old style. radical change in pistons and camshaft . the 210 ,250, 300 was what it was but so was the civil war just history now the first of the 6b engine!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Seems like a lot of changes to just get 20 HP. You would have thought that with all of those changes it would have been more than 20,HP but then the after cooler is only Fresh water cooled.

I had two people who know a lot about the Cummins say the 20 was in the pump. Then went on to say cool down the after cooler the HP comes up, then you need to change etc. So the changes become cumlative if you really want more HP.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i would have to write a book to give you all that information. cummins built a entirely new engine over the years to overcome shortfalls and anticipated problems that may come . vic roy mentions the new cummins 6b at 480hp .the answer is yes and very popular at that hp.the only thing simular between that 480hp and the 6b desigh of 1985 is the white paint. you cannot make the statment 20hp differants that is not the way it is viewed by cummins. there is a market for your 270hp version so they make it as a recon.lets take one example of yesterday and todays version; look at the left and right side of the block .you see those casted ribs that go from top to bottom those ribs strenthen the block .this change started in 2005 ,the block is called storm block and along with the ribs it has larger cam journal supports and stronger main journals. does this give you more horsepower? ---nope not even one.this is to make a block that can now deliver 480hp with alot more cylinder pressure then yours.the 270hp has 195 degree water from the block to cool the aftercooler ,the next higher hp is 330 and that uses seawater at a average 65 degrees . cooler air is more dense so more hp. if you can get by with the performace of a 270hp version then to do so will cause you alot less maintenace in the future ----salt water and metal just don`t like each other!!! so you end up keeping them from fighting.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Thats why I got the 270. Less problems.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

I was told by an uncle of mine who now retired used to own 1/3 of a Cummins franchise that they often got 240-250hp out of the 210hp version by just making the injection pump overfuel a bit. Would it be safe to do this on the 220re-man with the storm block. Also does the new220 re-man actually have 220hp ?
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i plead the 5th on the first question however my bertram ran 37 with a 330hp you fill in the blanks. the second question is a definitly there is a "as built" engine sheet attach to the top of the storm block 220hp when you receive it. the results will be within 2hp trust me .the engine was on a dyno for 15 minutes before leaving factory then they empty the oil and antifreeze and ship it.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

best advice is if you desire more horsepower buy it when you purchase engine.playing with anoid and injection pump is serious business ,best off buying a 270hp instead of losing warratee on 220hp cummins.the 270hp storm block will last your entire life actually measure in fuel burn at idle speed to wot.33,000 gallons is what your looking at .that tranlate to a lifetime if maintained.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Drifter

Playing with the fuel pump will boost the HP but be carefull. You might need to do something with the aftercooler or the turbo. Like I said one thing leads to another. Like I said earlier, my dealer said the 270 got the higher HP from the pump. The pressure on the bosh is higher than on the one that was on the old 250's.

Check out the pricing on the 270's, I think you might find that it is not that far off from the 220's.

I believe the foot print of the two engines is the same, so it should fit.