winshield installation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

winshield installation

Post by bob lico »

i resume work on the boat now that i can climb about. the windshield is complete and while i try to find color match of corian in head i will finish the window frames/window installation

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

another view
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

looking good bob
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Nice job. Looks real clean and like it was always there.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie, tony, that was the first time i ever did a freehand contour in epoxy. i freehand sketch the cut to coinside with windshield . then cut with jigsaw. now i had to resupport the deck surports.i took a tab measure and work it around the cut out wherever there was a curve i wrote it on paper, then i cut coosa board to size and scarf the back where it would have to be bent. i screw the coosa into the deck supports then fill in all the scarfing with epoxy. epoxy a layer of cloth all around and faired.did the gel -cote thing but no polishing.i will cut corian or teak for that hanger locker top.push the refrigerator back 16" and will make raised panel teak draws from top to bottom on left of refrigerator and one cabinet and one bottom draw on refrigerator panel.gain alot of floor space and loss no cabinet space. actually gain quite a bit of organization to galley.flat screen tv will drop down in v-berth with controls in new cabinet with micro/coffee pot in it ,built into area behind windshield.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Would love to see the pics when that job is done.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Great job Bob, would you happen to not be using those seat "hooks" that hold the back of the seat on? I am missing one and if your not going to use them, could I buy one? Thank you.
Rocky.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i consider all designs for seating in the salon . the stock "ice cream parlor"layout is by far the best especially with the grandchildren . they eat there lunch there when i take them to fire island . i don`t like the new concept of couch and coffee table, very diffecult to eat on or read charts.i redone the seats in coordinating fabrics with v- berth . i will be using the "j" hooks.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

O.K Bob, just thought to ask anyway. I'll have to find something from the Perko line of garbage I guess!
Rocky.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am on to the window installation and my wallet is crying.wow those side windows in # 14 blackout tempered glass is quite expensive.i am building the inside frames first . the out side frames are 3/4" quarter round azak brand pvc with structual flex added to the miters.the inside frame will be courtour to the interior just blended into existing glass.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

front starboard
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Is that coosa board held in by the wood shims? Looks like it.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes i made the entire frame of coosa and epoxy in place the wood holds it in place while setting up.there is nothing for clamps to hold on to so the series of wooden braces hold it in place overnight. drys like stone coosa board loves epoxy .becomes like" structual steel " together.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Looking Good
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks guys for the pat on the back. i guess thats why i go thru the bother of taking photo`s and posting . i figure maybe just maybe i might be helpful to somebody a little reluntant to take on a project like this. i am not a fiberglass person or god forbid----painter i just try my best.i work on trial and error!! belive me i was quite nervous putting a radius on the points of the tempered glass every body telling me it`s going to shatter.i used a diamon file and soapy water with the glass well surpported.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i installed the 1/4" tempered safety glass using Sikaflex -296 and aktivator with rubber pads along perimeter .next step was to install a frame so i purchase azak brand 1/4 round by 3/4" .i use one 16' at
$10.43 ,it will do both sides. i put down a bed of 3m- 4000 uv and mitered joints . installed ss screws every 10" and used Bond and fill at the joints and to cover screw holes.the miters were help with electric hot knife.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

side trim install . good for a 1000 years of no maint.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob,

As usuall a work of art. You are going to give the Capt. a run for his money.