Catalina Island

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Catalina Island

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey guys,
My wife just booked a trip to Cali and a cruise over to Catalina over Memorial weekend. Is there any points of interest that I need to check out? What about a fishing charter that time of year? As usual, I'm pretty clueless about what's going on once I leave home. Nothing too extravagant, please, as I'm still trying to finish up Reel Cowboy, and every dollar is kind of ear marked for that project...I promise, we'll get her done...but, not quite as fast as you guys would.
Many thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

John: I just got back from a trip to southern CA two weeks ago. I met my girlfriend in San Diego after a conference she had, jumped on the Amtrak up the coast to Irvive where I rented a 1978 VW camper. We cruised up and down the coast from Newport Beach/Balboa Island down to La Jolla. We slept in the VW bus at state beach campsites along the way. A lot of surfing dudes. My favorite areas were Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, the Ortaga Hwy (hwy 74) over to Lake Elsinore, Laguna Beach, Torrey Pines. This area is a beautiful part of the state. I wish I had stayed a few extra days. We spent the last night in downtown San Diego in a hotel. The restaurants in that area are abundant. We ate at a great Spanish restaurant and the paella was fantastic.

My only regret was I didn't have enough time to try to hook up with Bill Fuller. I would like to have met him and see his Bertram. Enjoy your trip.

Eddy G.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Not sure when that is or what my work sch. is that far ahead.. But Ill try to make em bite. Or take you for a lap around the island.
Wayne
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Eddy,
After a 18 year layoff from the long board, I finally started getting back into the rythime of paddling out and catching some of the small stuff Tx has to offer during an offshore blow...Nothing like back in the day in Mazatlan, Valantino's Point, when it was pumping double overhead! Maybe next year...I'm kind of just getting a feel for things again, and thanks to some good friends who don't mind keeping an eye out for me and making it possible. It's incredible what can be done once you take the first step...seems like there's always someone there to lend a helping hand. Enough about that...Your trip sounded fantastic, and I'm jealous.
Wayne,
We'd
love to meet and spend some time with anyone that will be around on the 23rd or 24th...Memorial weekend...
Thanks, John
713-906-0842
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

John: I just returned from a week trip to Toledo..early Sat morn.. .. Visit my mom..
I missed the assignment.. So sorry. Im going to the island today tho.. Hope you had an awsome trip..
Wayne
gplume

Post by gplume »

John, don't want to hijack your post, but I have to ask Eddy, where did you rent he VW camper? Looks intersting, and since well past our wonder years, cannot get the wife back into tent camping, this one might work though.

Been thinking about a surf safari to Cali for a long time. Have had a few tastes on west coast business trips, but nothing extended.

All the best - Giff
Giff
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Giff: The website is www.vwsurfari.com. His operation is in Costa Mesa, CA and only about 15 minutes from the coast. The owner's name is Bill and is really a nice guy. We had a great time. The places mentioned in my original post I highly recommend checking out. Also, if you plan to be camping on a weekend, make reservations on the California State Parks website.

Eddy
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

make reservations on the California State Parks website
Governor Schwarzenegger Considers Closing 220 State Parks to Save Money
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks for the info and heads up. Been to Costa Mesa many times several years back for work, pretty near the Orange County airport (John Wayne?) if I remember correctly.

Gonna look into this.

Thanks.
Giff
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

John: Did you make it to the island? Catalinaaaaah its an awesome place I wish I could have been here.
Giff.. Yes John Wayne is about 10min from Costa Mesa