Original Steering Wheel Removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Original Steering Wheel Removal

Post by redcat20 »

Gang,
I am partway thru a steering cable replacement. I got the old one out ok, but it is so old they don't sell them anymore and I have to either adapt the steering box, or get a complete new setup.
Does anyone know how the steering wheel and box come out?
There's a Bertram 24 emblem in the center of the wheel- is that held in through "tangs" or some other method?
I tried gently prying the center emblem up yesterday, but it would't move-didn't want to force it.
Are there other bolts and stuff that need to be undone to get this thing apart? Any certain order to the disassembly?
Looks like a 2 piece job-wheel and shaft move up and out into the cockpit and box itself moves in the opposite direction, since obviously it's too big to fit thru the hole left by the shaft itself.
Any hints here??
Redcat20
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Red,

The wheel insert is just a friction fit, but someone back down the line may have put some adhesive around it, or it could be just a tight fit.

The profile looks like this:

Buy a drywall taping knife from Home Dildo or the hardware store and modify it to have a semi-circle cut out. Sharpen the edge to be almost razor sharp. only sharpen one side. Lightly tap the edge under the flange of the insert and draw it around the full circumfrence will applying a lifting force. Should pop right out...

Beneith the insert will be the 5/8" nut that holds the wheel to the helm shaft. The tapered shaft and wheel are machined with keyways & keyed with a Woodruff key. The wheel will be tightly wedged down onto the shaft and removal will need to be done with a 3 point puller.

The helm will be likely be bolted or screwed to the dash from the underside.

Br,

Patrick
redcat20

Wheel Removal

Post by redcat20 »

Thanks. Good advice. Got the wheel out of the dash. Don't have a puller, will have to let the marina do that.
Please see my next post, above. My boat, a 24' Bertram Baron, is very original and I'd like to keep it that way.
Apparently since the cable was likely 40 years old, no way to use the old box with a new cable - they don't make that type any more.
Do you have any ideas how to incorporate the old wheel and shaft with a new box?
If not, who makes high quality, reasonably priced steering wheels and boxes?
Redcat20
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Don't have a puller, will have to let the marina do that.
Every man needs more tools, even ones that he may not use again... You can find pullers at just about any hardware, automotive, or home improvement store.

keeping your ride reasonably original is fine, but when it comes to mechanical systems, upgrades are advisable. Check the Sea Star hydraulic steering systems.

Br,

Patrick
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Redcat,
Check my post under "How do you keep the steering system original." Agree whole heartedly with Pat on the change to new. Technology at it's best in the original, beautiful, built-to-last Bertram hull.
Multisimully cool!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein