Seller's Ethics / Buyer Beware (?)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Seller's Ethics / Buyer Beware (?)

Post by STeveZ »

There are currently 153 Bertram 28-footers listed on yachtworld.com, up from around 50 last year. Most are gassers. I haven't come close to reading every listing, still, I have yet to see ethanol and/or fiberglass fuel tanks mentioned in one.

You or I could deny knowledge of the situation and rely on a survey/sea trial to establish the boats condition. But these boats are being offered by brokers who one could reasonably expect to have knowledge of this hidden and potentially dangerous defect.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Steve:

Not that it is ethical to “forget” to mention the reason they are selling the boat is because of the ethanol issue, but I am sure the only person who would mention it is the one who has done something to fix the problem. i.e. new stainless tank or relined tank for E-10 gas. That would be a selling point.

I don’t believe it is unethical to not list undesirable aspects in a listing, but is unethical/illegal to lie about it when asked.
Scott Traenkle
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Mental Note: Ask Scott lots of questions. :)
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The bottom line while buying anything is an educated consumer.
If you can't be educated, hire someone who is.

Drove to Jacksonville last Friday to do an engine survey on a pair of Volvos.
Walked on the boat and the stench of wet wood and mildew hung in the air.
Whole back of the electric panel was corroded or rusted with signs of melted wires.
High water level in the bilge, signs of rats, severe thru hull corrosion, busted hose clamps.
This is not even mentioning the damage to the exterior that had been patched.

Never surveyed the engines. Pete and I recommended the buyer walk away, which he did.

In talking to the selling broker afterwards, his comment was what do you expect for $112,000.00?

I replied, how bout a boat that won't sink and catch fire?
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,
Thanks again for going to Jax, my client got an eduction, you and I got paid and the broker got an earfull. I didn't get back to Boston until 12:45 AM, 3 hour flight with 5 hours of airline equipment and weather delays. 14 hours of total billable travel time for 2 hours of work on a vessel that should have never been listed at that price . See you in a month.
Pete
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

You have to wonder if it might depress the value of B28's to the point that they become more popular candidates for diesel conversion...