Raft Problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Raft Problem

Post by In Memory Walter K »

For the last 10+ years I have had a Switlik 10 Man Rescue Platform in a fiberglass container that sits in a stainless steel carriage that is permanently mounted on my bridge behind my bench seat. I faithfully had it serviced every year. This year I was advised by the raft servicer that the raft was unrepairable and I should consider replacing it. Given Switlik makes a new version of the 10 man rescue platform, I asked if the new one in the hard case container would fit in the carriage I presently have mounted on my boat. At that time I was told the newer hard case would fit, but is a bit higher and the cable hold downs would have to be extended or replaced with longer ones. I chose the 10 man because I now fish mainly inshore and with a sixpack license, a mate and me, the 8 man rafts were much larger, heavier and more expensive. It met my needs perfectly and would do it again if I could. Thanks to inflation, the 10 man Switlik rescue platform is now $3500 in a hardpack case. Before spending those bucks, I wanted to be SURE the new raft would fit in my present carriage, since changing carriages would necessitate fiberglass and paint work that would jack the costs up even more. Right now, I really can't afford it.
I called Switlik and was told the new one would NOT fit in my presently mounted carriage. I downloaded the specs on the 10 man raft hard case amd damned if the specs seem to show it would sit in my present carriage.
I don't want to shell out $3500 that I can ill afford right now and find it won't fit. On the other hand, a whole new raft system will probably necessitate the costs that go with filling holes, painting, etc. Does anyone know anyone anywhere who has a Switlik 10 man rescue platform I can talk to? If I even saw one I would know if it would fit or not. If not, is there an 8 man raft system you can recommend? Long story, I know...sorry. Walter
RussP

Post by RussP »

Walter, if your dealer says it fits see if he will take it back if it in fact does not fit. He should back up his word.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'd ask for a case to make sure it fits. For a $3500 replacement they should let you "borrow" a case to test the dry fit, especially being a repeat customer who actually services the product at recommended intervals.

That said, could the bracket be modified in place? I'm thinking a few cuts, SS extensions and a portable TIG welder or bolt together solution. More then one way to skin a cat.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter,

I agree with Russ and Sim.

Wednesday was a pretty tough day. Not only did the dog who was the inspiration for my dog Marly die, but my life raft was condemned, we went to the next level of time off at all our plants by including the office "non-essentials (yeah, whatever)" in the worksharing program and will be dropping them one day a week, and my furnace at home burped. It was fun...

My switlik was 23 years old. In a valise. No doubt I will never buy another brand. Amazing...

Good luck!

Dug