Morse Steering Cable- Sizing and Installation?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Morse Steering Cable- Sizing and Installation?

Post by redcat20 »

Gang,
I have a 24' Bert. Baron that has a stiffening steering cable. I estimate it's about 20 years old. Couple of questions.
1) Are there any points that suffer from lack of lubrication, other than the end which connects to the drive, that might be lubricated and get it to work with less effort?
2) If the cable needs to be replaced, as with most Berts. it takes a route that is not completely easily tracked and measured- does it have to come out to be measured?
3) If it has to come out, should I tie a wire or cable behind the old one coming out so that I have a way to fish the new one thru?
4).What's the best place to source a new cable-Morse hooked up to a volvo penta AQ311B stern drive?
Any thoughts you have would be useful. Thanks
Redcat20
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You could try one of the outboard style lube nuts if you can find one to fit. might get you a few more years out of it anyway.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Attach a rope to the end, pull it out an measure the cable. Leave the rope in the route and use it to pull the new one back through the route.

Make sure to use duct tape at the attachment point and taper the tape to create a smooth joint that will pass through the various restrictions.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

sometimes you can, and sometimes you cant. Look on the end, it may have the length in inches. I agree with the rope idea but, if it snags well, just order lunch and settle in for a day. Overall it aint that hard. be sure that the way the cable lays is ok with you however. A little to long wont hurt but short is a disaster.
redcat20

Steering Cable

Post by redcat20 »

Good ideas. Thanks.
Redcat20
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

now now did you ever wonder how a pro. does that replacment trick?well at least someone who gets paid to do it.----secret exposed>>>>> a gun cleaning kit for a shot gun uses a eye with a cleaning swab to clean barrel it just so happens to be a sae 10- 32 internal thread guess what the thread is on the end of a morse cable?----------that right!!! so take the end off the cable and screw on the eye.next crimp 400 pound test mono or old outrigger line to eye pull out and pull new cable in .no snags just glides right in ,even if interwoven with wires.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bob...

That suggestion alone was worth the price of admission!

Thanks for the great tip!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you IR GUY i should have mention to unscrew the T adapter off the end of the cable first then screw the eye on.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Sweet.
I have plenty of gun cleaning tools, but never connected the dots. Thanks.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
capy

Post by capy »

3 things to add to bob's post.

1 Instead of a gun cleaning ram, I use a 10-32 standoff or threaded barrel, available from digikey or Mcmaster carr, I screw it on the old cable... AND the new cable... when you pull out the old you automatcally pull in the new.

2 make sure you take all the rubber boots off the old and the new cables conneted together in step one, BEFORE pulling through. Put em back on after the new is in place.

3 Apply a large glob of dippty doo, hair gel, or electricians lube on the connection.

Goes thru like sh*t thru a goose