Guns on board

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

Guns on board

Post by Major »

Does anyone know where i can find some information on possessing weapons on a boat offshore? Ive thought about taking a rifle or shotgun along but never really knew what the regulations were on that. The main purpose of having it is simply that you never know what you may run into out in the ocean.

My main area would be off the South Carolina coast out 50 or so miles on the far side.

Thanks,

Major
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Major,

There are no Federal regulations that restrict possession of fire arms aboard your boat, other than for restricted arms such as fully automatic and suppressed. Any other restrictions will be imposed by your port of embarkation and ports of call, (state and foreign laws). State laws will apply within 3 miles of US land on both coast lines and 9 miles of US land within the Gulf of Mexico. When entering adjacent waters of neighboring states, or foreign territories, their laws will apply.

Federal laws which might superceed state laws can be in effect for Federal Marine Sanctuaries and Parks...

Generally speaking, most states have no restrictions for carrying onboard long guns or shotguns, other than those prohibited by Federal/State law including sawed off shotguns.

Lock, Load, and Carry, Brother!

Br,

Patrick
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

captains whom are required to now have a t.w.i.c. card and will have to carry a new issued licence that is somewhat like a passport with photo i.d..the homeland security encourages being armed at sea afterall you are trusted and the first line of defence for coastal bad guys.i carry a smith& wesson model m&h semi auto 40cal.i also carry a remington semi auto modell 1100 sp. slug barrel loaded with 00buck.
with the current pirate problem every american flaged ship should have a 50cal. m2 . mounted on the fantail. when the dudes in a dory try to approach the ship you can have live target practice long before they get within rpg range. no amount of political talk can make up for substained 50caliber machine gun fire.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I just suggest stainless steel models of whatever you take-handgun or shotgun.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I usually carry a stainless Walther PPK in .380 for snakes and such....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

This is the sort of thing I like to keep on a need to know basis.
Major

Post by Major »

Thanks for the info. We have been boarded by the coast guard before while offshore just for a routine safety check so i was just wanting to minimise any unessisary drama. That was pretty interesting to watch though. The CG cutter dropped off their small boats and went out to check the boats in the area. Wonder how the CG maintains their M16's to keep corrosion at bay?

I agree stainless is definatly the way to go. If its exposed to the air for long. I would still want to give it a good cleaning when i got back in though.
scot

Post by scot »

I've always carried a 45ACP SS 1911A1, but based on "various" laws, I am going to start carrying my 12GA pump, 18" barrel with rifled slugs. It's much better at 100 yards and beyond, no law I am aware of restricts shotguns.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Stainless is good but do not mistake it for the answer. Any other gun will be fine if properly maintained. Stainless will just take longer to develope rust if left unmaintained. I carried the same Glock 17 on my duty rig for almost 8 years. On a small boat it was always getting wet from direct salt spray. I had been soaked with ocean water under my vest on several occassions due to heavy seas. The only thing I ever did to the Glock was rinse it off in the sink with hot water and then lightly oil the outside. There was zero rust on it when I turned it in and it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.
As far as the AR15/M16 go there is not a whole lot to do for it either. The iron sights and bird cage are the main problem spots for corrosion. The upper and lower reciever are coated aluminum of some sort. Simply wipe it down with oily rag. Submersion or extreme water penetration could lead to a higher degree of maintenance that an armorer would have to perform. Unless you plan on hanging over the gunwhale and shooting while underway or conducting waterborne infiltration of a beach do not be to worried about it.
Basic maintenance is the key. Guns are no different than your inboards. They are just harder to find these days and more expensive to feed.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Major wrote:We have been boarded by the coast guard before while offshore just for a routine safety check so i was just wanting to minimise any unessisary drama.
You will want to notify the 19 year olds with the automatic weapons that you are armed as soon as you are within speaking range, even if the firearm is securely stowed.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Major

Post by Major »

The AR would be on the top of my list. Of the ones i built the barrel nut, muzzle devise, trigger group and the sights were about the only non aluminum or stainless parts. The last one i built has a ionbonded carrier and bolt so it should wear similar to the melonited glock barrel. The AR is pretty easy to clean too. The upper and lower other than the carbon 15 and some rarer titanium and stainless recievers are simply aluminum thats been anodised. One thing i learned recently is on the barrel nut where you typically use a anti sieze you need to be sure its pure moly. Most of the other anti siezes can cause corrosion with the nonsimilar metals. Add salt water to that and the reaction gets worse. Or so im told atleast.

Like you said though stainless doesnt mean rustproof.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Mike,

You absolutely correct about that. I was in the process of being boaded a couple of years ago and just before the guy in charge of the boarding party stepped aboard my boat, I told him that I had loaded firearms on board. Everyone on the CG vessel came to the side of the boat when they heard that. It was like a small gallery. I had a 357 magnum SS and a 410 shotgun called "The Snakecharmer".

The head guy asked me to unload them and place them on the galley table in plain view. Later, one of the boarding party asked me why I had guns on my vessel. I told him I had them because I could.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Had fired a few over the years, but just bought my first gun yesterday. Mossberg Mariner 12 gauge (very tough to find in stock). Years ago, I never would have considered it, but "the times they are a changin'".

My Mom passed away about a yr and a half ago, she was 86 and a half yrs old. When the Police arrived to check things out (it was natural causes) ... the officer at the other end of the phone asked me "did you know she had a loaded gun in her bedroom ?" I cracked up laughing ... so did he. He took the shells and put it neatly in a closet.
They weren't taking her without a fight !!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bertramp excellent choice of weapon for the bertram.yes the mariner is a real hard find and with rifle slug a great weapon to put to a mako or thesther head (between the eyes) and put a end to the danger of the flygaff unless it is a tournament .i have been boarded by what look like a 18year old cc recruit.i told him i am arm and he became nervous he said have a nice day and left. (moriches inlet). dick i will remember that one for a long time "because i can ".those of you who operate you bertram in and around oil tankers or facilities should be aware of the issues we faced and never be on that bridge without a sidearm . look with those assholes did with a airplane (world trade center) what could they do with your bertram next to a super tanker!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I was boarded a few years back and was asked if there were any firearms aboard. I said yes, a 357 magnum revolver. Loved the look on their faces. Took out my wallet out and flipped out my carry permit. they asked me where it was. I told them. What a bunch of wimps. As soon as I had a legal weapon, I was a whole other person. Thankfully, I, had all my papers and no illegal fish. I'm seriously thinking of wearing it on my belt instead of in my bag so they could see it when they pull up. Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

these young coasties stop you on the way out !!! this is a documented 31 bertram with master of steam licence and documents under it on the inside of door .under are the polution signs. they have this rubber boat with a outboard and really not looking for fish i have all nesasary pistol permits but they just left after he saw it on my side??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I just bring a straw and some balled up paper with some spit.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

You're the man.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I've been boarded 3-4 times and that's the first question they ask and I've never been asked for any permit or given any hassle at all. I think the CG's would be shocked if you didn't have protection on an offshore boat.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Tom

Post by Tom »

Andre, the LEOs in South LA would be shocked if you weren't armed in a church pew.

Best part of a shotgun on board are the seagulls off the back of the boat. PULL
Viva la Presidente!