New photos of a project about to come to an end

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jspiezio

New photos of a project about to come to an end

Post by jspiezio »

Some shots my Dad took with his cell phone last week.

a few more at this link, and they are much much bigger there-
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh97 ... s/?start=0
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks for posting the link to the images. The inset helm is the solution to one of the design issues I have been struggling with. That really opens up some floor space in the cockpit by moving the captain further forward by a foot or so, and keeps the controls below the cap line...nice.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Looking good. How long before she is ready?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I like it.......getting closer to Splash Day! ! !

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking very good, thanks for sharing the pics.

I hope Carl doen't hit you with a storage fee for keeping the boat there so long...sorry couldn't resist.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

looks great, nice and clean
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tony Meola wrote:Looking good. How long before she is ready?
Tony, 4 years ago Carl said it would be 18 months. Two weeks ago Carl said 4-5 weeks. doing the easy calculations, I would say 3 or 4 months.
scot wrote:The inset helm is the solution to one of the design issues I have been struggling with. That really opens up some floor space in the cockpit by moving the captain further forward by a foot or so, and keeps the controls below the cap line...nice.
Scot, all Carl's idea. Each boat he does gives him ideas about the next one.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

J:

Where did you get that SS sink. I want one for mine. Also I would like to do the square one at the kitchen.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Hueso wrote:J:

Where did you get that SS sink. I want one for mine. Also I would like to do the square one at the kitchen.
Hueso- Carl at Elite has all that stuff. He is very very good guy and is actually looking to supply more of his custom stuff to folks working on there own boats. Phone # is (727) 823-5240.
Bill Cuthbertson

Winshield

Post by Bill Cuthbertson »

Like that windshield, much better look than the original and more functional to, I am trying to decide if I want to go back with a windshield or just an enclosure. If you don't mind me asking who did it and the approximate $$$.

Thanks Bill
jspiezio

Re: Winshield

Post by jspiezio »

Bill Cuthbertson wrote:Like that windshield, much better look than the original and more functional to, I am trying to decide if I want to go back with a windshield or just an enclosure. If you don't mind me asking who did it and the approximate $$$.

Thanks Bill
Bill, Carl designed, built, and installed that windshield. He had some fab work done outside, but he is the man to talk to about it.
Cost, well it was the first so there was some tooling expense as expected. With that said, if I remember it was about $8500, but I will have to check to know for sure. Any new production would be much less I think.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

J, Pam said the boat looks fantastic! I've been talking to Carl and he's been keeping me updated.
There was a post a year ago or so that was titled "baha mar project", bahia was mispelled so keep this in mind when doing a sourch. Anyways, Noe, a neighbor of mind built that windshield of cussa board.. I don't know the exact spelling of "cussa". The windows are fixed and the whole unit is glassed into place. Guys, being totally blind, I'm kind of at a loss as far as things really look. My wife does a great job describing things to me, but, I really need my brothers on the board to give me a realistic view on what things look like when it comes to the marine end of it. I'm at the point where I need to make a decision on whither to go with an enclosure or a windshield. Do you guys mind taking a look at both windshielsd and giving me an overview of both? I hate asking for help,but, I'm trying to put together a 40 year old boat, and I want to do it right. The better Reel Cowboy looks after complition, the better we'll all look.
Thank you.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

JohnCranston wrote:J, Pam said the boat looks fantastic! I've been talking to Carl and he's been keeping me updated.
There was a post a year ago or so that was titled "baha mar project", bahia was mispelled so keep this in mind when doing a sourch. Anyways, Noe, a neighbor of mind built that windshield of cussa board.. I don't know the exact spelling of "cussa". The windows are fixed and the whole unit is glassed into place. Guys, being totally blind, I'm kind of at a loss as far as things really look. My wife does a great job describing things to me, but, I really need my brothers on the board to give me a realistic view on what things look like when it comes to the marine end of it. I'm at the point where I need to make a decision on whither to go with an enclosure or a windshield. Do you guys mind taking a look at both windshielsd and giving me an overview of both? I hate asking for help,but, I'm trying to put together a 40 year old boat, and I want to do it right. The better Reel Cowboy looks after complition, the better we'll all look.
Thank you.

No problem John.

1st the similarities- I like them both. The height of both windshields and the angle at which they both sweep aft are very similar.

now the differences-
The coosa baord frame is much, much thicker all around the windshield and the side windows. It reminds me of the windsheild on a Dyer 29 or a Wilbur/Young Brothers down east style boat. Carl's windshield has very thin stainless frames. They are much less visible, especially when looking through the windshields toward the bow. The center post and corners on Carl's do not obstruct the view at all, while on the coosa board they might a little.

Carl's does not have any wipers, while the coosa baord does. Attaching them on Carl's would be more difficult.

Both side frames extend further aft then the original windshields. But the Coosa board frame goes back much further. The combing on the Bahia Mar cockpit gently slopes down as it moves aft, until in the last 4" feet or so it turns in to a large radius that drops down to meet the cockpit gunwale. Well, the Coosa board frame actually extends its taper aft into, and follows the contour of, that large downward sloping radius. The coosa frame stops about 1.5 feet above where the radius meets the gunwale, or about 3 feet into the radius area. The frame blends into the combing there also, very nice job.

Carl's frame stops at about 1.5 feet into the radius area, so it is significantly shorter, and the downward angle of those side windows is more acute on Carl's version, the coosa board side frame angles are more gentle.

I'll look at these more and try to come up with more comparisons and descriptions for you.

John
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

J.,
Man, the description was fantastic! That's exactelly what I needed! The coosa windshield sounds great and could be done only a couple of miles from where I live, but, the windows don't open, and it gets real hot down here in Tx. I'm looking at all options and your help is much appreciated!
I hear that every b31 is different, and I feel like there might be some variance from one windshield to another...that's why having one built for my perticuar boat might work out better. Any more advice would be welcome.

John.
713-906-0842`
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

JohnCranston wrote:J.,
but, the windows don't open, and it gets real hot down here in Tx.
Carl's side windows have an opening vent window, very much like the side windows on old cars or pickup trucks that could be pushed out to act like a vent.