ZF 63A Transmission mounting Brackets

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STraenkle

ZF 63A Transmission mounting Brackets

Post by STraenkle »

I am trying to find a place to buy 2 sets of transmission mounting brackets for ZF63A gears. The new engines and gears I got did not come with any rear brackets and I was hoping someone on the board might know where to get some. No luck searching Google.

A local place has them for $168 each or $672 for the 2 sets, that seemed pretty steep, but if that is what they cost then so be it.

Thanks
Scott Traenkle
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scott,

Usually you have four brackets but all mounted to the block. Take the aft two off and install onto transmission...

Br,

Patrick
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Thanks Patrick, but I am looking for the bracket that mounts to the transmission housing. I took the motor mount ones off the old motor, however the borg warner brackets do not fix on the ZF gears. I can get the none adjustable for the down angle, but I did not want to force the rubber isolator that mounts to the engine bed to sit at an 7 degree angle.

The down angle is approximatly 15 degrees, of which 8 is done by the transmission and the 7 more has to be done by angling the engine. The drawings I have from Mercury show a bracket with a pin (similiar to the engine mounts) that rotate to allow the rubber isolator to sit flat on the engine bed. I could make the beds have a 7 degree slope, but that seemed like a bad and complicated fix. I could use a wedge, but once again the alignment would be much more difficult and I am only going to have half inch clearance from the top of the motor to the engine cover. Tight fit.

I can get them and I have seen them, in fact all the places I found that sell the gears offer the brackets in a mounting kit for $250 or so, but wont sell it separatly.
Scott Traenkle
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mastry may be a place to look, not sure if they make them. I think I am using the ones you need. Multiple bolt holes so you can get the proper height while keeping the motor low on the motor mount stud and the mount will not preload or bind. I got mine used at local place for 100 bucks for all four of them. They came off yanmar with 63's but also work on the ZF45
J Graham

Post by J Graham »

I have a 330B Cummins with a ZF V drive. Bought the motor and gear from Tony Athens, e used 6x6x1/2 aluminum angle. Works great.
JG