gelcoat issue

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

gelcoat issue

Post by Bill G. »

Good Morning all,have some areas on the hull that look like had been redone and the best way to describe it is small scratchs or cracks and coarse if you rub your hand over the surface still glossy.Don't know what to think,is it gelcoat thinning to the last coat or hard and splinter cracking?Noticed alittle around the bridge as well.I don't use anything abrasive when I buff the boat just wax or polish could I be taking or gelcoat?and to redo the hull and bridge paint or gelcoat?and has anybody an educated guess as to how much?Thanks so much for your input...............Bill G.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Without seeing it it'd be speculation Bill.
Sounds like standard issue stress spider cracks, crazing, etc... but I'd recommend you take some detailed pics and post 'em up.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bill, My 66 Bahia Mar had little stars or scratches all over the hull, looked like laquer crack since the boat had been repainted..the upper sections of the boat were fine( gunnell up)...media blasted the boat and the gelcoat looked like aligator skin...rolled up my sleeves and got real friendly with a grinder and orbital sander....for about 3 weeks worth of work...replaced rough gel coat with epoxy....545 primer...highbuild primer...lots of long board work..and final coat of 545...not for the faint hearted or weak shouldered....but well worth it!!!!
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?