In a pickle, ammo-wise

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

In a pickle, ammo-wise

Post by Rickysa »

Hoping to maybe help one of the group out due to a snafu on my part....

Long story short...bought an AR-15 with the lower assembly stampted 556/223. Turns out the upper is chambered for 223 only....I'm having some jamming issues. Unfortunately, I purchased about 2000+ rounds of Federal Lake City 556.

Anyone want some? or trade for any 223 Remington/Winchester (brass) that you can find? (Can't get a new upper assembly for the gun...waiting list over a year)

Rick
capy

Post by capy »

chamber reamer

But it won't be as accurate.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Yea, I had thought of that...but I might want to do some limited competition stuff down the road, and I've got about 1000+ 223 ordered, and plan to investigate loading my own (since our gov is taking up all surplus ammo brass to turn to scrap and sell to China)....
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I could always use 2000 rounds! Curious how much? Shipping is the killer with ammo.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

ROAD TRIP!!!!! been 40s and raining for the last stinkin' week here...Fla sounds good

I don't even know what I paid for them, got some local, and some from AMMOMAN (they haven't had any in forever) ....trying to find the 223 in brass may be an issue.
captbone

Post by captbone »

I would be interest also. Thanks
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

capy wrote:chamber reamer

But it won't be as accurate.
Spoke with the seller yesterday, and that's the way we are going. Can't find .223 (brass), no upper assemblies anywhere (1 yr wait), and reaming is quick and easy.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Great Bruce, I appreciate that.
scot

Post by scot »

Bruce,
"The Texas welcome center" IH-10 I assume....about 3 miles from the house, you should have called, breakfeast would have been on me in the wonderful land of RITA & IKE, i.e. Orange.

Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I've got about 2500 rounds of once fired brass left, and there is a guy out in Arizona selling once fired off miltary bases.

It was $65 per 1000 shipped a couple weeks ago, and he should have more ready to go in a week or so. My batch of 3000 from Feb. was 90% LC 99 with most of the remainder being LC 98.

Just resize to .223 specs, trim, and you are GTG.

As a reloader, I would prefer a .223 chamber.

I think you might be better off trading uppers with someone.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Thanks for the info, and I just saw the DoD recended the meltdown of surplus brass (per Georgia Arms)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i hear from the grapevine all 223 cal. will be expensive to get then become inpossible the next will be nato 7.62 or 308 cal. this aministration will not past laws against the NRA and lose votes instead they will make it inpossible to get ammo for assault rifes. once they cut off the brass they will get rid of the primers which is easier then removing modern smokeless power from the reloaders.no voting issues , no publicity just make all assault rifles useless. then they will work on any semi-auto rifle next. unfourtunally this would include a 5 shot autoloading shotgun a definite legitimate bird or duck hunting gun.the idiots have no clue and have done this in some states already.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

hear lately i can't find one decent online ammo supplier that has 7.62x39mm in stock. everyone is so paranoid that the "Savior" is gonna raise taxes on ammo. its easier to find milk and bread in the grocery store an hour before the hurricane hits than it is to find any decent ammo deals.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

http://gun-deals.com/

Some good sources on this website sorted by price. Been to three stores while here in st augustine and a few boxes was all that was to be had of 7.62x39. I have only been buying by the case.
Pick up a PSL also known by unwary as the Dragunov. It shoots 7.62x54. the gun can be had for about 800 from classic arms. It is a stretched out AK and the ammo is cheap. It is surpluss ammo and it is corrosive so cleaning is a bit more intensive. you can get 800 rounds for about 200 bucks. I think the gun shoots like a dream and would have no problem using it as a last ditch resort weapon. It is a big gun but light compared to other sniper rifles. 10 round box mag semi-auto with range finding scope.
Classic arms also has romanian AK's for about 600 bucks. Maybe not the best but it comes with tapco trigger group which is a good uprade. They have ammo time to time but not right now.
Some people think I might be crazy but I do not go offshore unless I have the right gear and crew. A generator for hurricane season is a good idea also. I like to think of it as being prepared so do not wait until the day before the storm hits.