bow-eye installation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

bow-eye installation

Post by Rocky »

Hi guys, just wanted to know if I could get away with installing a bow eye without any heavy plating/ backing plate about at the "boot stripe " level.
I will NOT be winching boat up onto trailer, I just want a stationary point to secure forward/back movement upon transport. ABT trailer. This area looks to me like it's fairly beefy with glass. Any suggestions? Would like to stay away from an external plate.
Rocky.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rocky,

For occassional transport of a B31 on a trailer you don't need a bow eye at all... Just rig diagonal straps, similar to the way you'd rig spring lines.

Br,

Patrick
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Capt. Pat, that is how I strapped her down for the journey 500 miles north from LA. I will however, be trailering more than once in a while, as she sits on my property on a mountain, and if I want to use her,
well I have to trailer to the water. I have seen eyes on the B31, some without external plates. Seems like a cleaner install. If I would need to strap the bow down anyway, I guess there would be no need for this eye.
Once again, thanks for the input.
Rocky.
captbone

Post by captbone »

I found that area on my 25ft Bertram to be very thick and strong. I found the largest/strongest bow eye I could (5/8 I think) that it used on the 33ft Grady/34ft Whalers.

I put over 20 layers of glass in the anchor compartment overlapping getting bigger just for piece of mind and because I am anal. I feel this to be one of the strongest parts of my boat.

I flattened the spot where it sits with a sander and 80 grit.

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Rocky...

You might not ever haul the boat up onto your trailer using the bow eye you are asking about, but somebody might one day (next owner, a yard monkey, etc), so you had better make it as strong as possible while you are installing it.

Sitting where it will be it looks too appealing to use as a strong point for moving the boat!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hmmm, I think I'll just strap her down. It would be some more work, but sounds like a safer deal.
Rocky.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you for the effort on pics captbone, the job looks good too.
Rocky.