Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

The results of reporting your catch

Post by Bruce »

Feds consider fishing ban on Atlantic red snapper
By RUSS BYNUM
Associated Press Writer

SAVANNAH, Ga. — After three decades as a charter fishing guide, Steve Amick says he's never seen red snapper as large or plentiful as he did last year off Georgia's Atlantic coast. Soon, catching them could be illegal.

Scientists for the federal government say the bountiful catch reported from Florida to North Carolina is a shallow illusion. The red snapper population, they say, is dwindling and needs a break from decades of overfishing.

A proposed temporary ban on red snapper fishing is scheduled to face a vote Thursday on Jekyll Island, Ga., by the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council. The government agency sets fishing rules for the whole southern East Coast.

The proposal would place red snapper off limits for up to six months in Atlantic waters fronting Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina — where fishermen hauled in a combined catch of 415,000 pounds in 2007.

The ban is fiercely opposed by commercial fishermen and charter guides. For most, red snapper supplements incomes when not fishing for grouper, mackerel, tuna and other fish. But other fishermen rely almost exclusively on red snapper.

Popular for its sweet, nutty flavor, red snapper has been in high demand for decades by seafood connoisseurs and sushi lovers. Commercial fisherman fetch a high price — $4 or $5 a pound — for the fish. It's also prized by recreational anglers, who account for about three-fourths of the Atlantic catch.

"For us, the red snapper is the whole ballgame," said Amick, a Savannah charter captain whose four boats take about 3,000 anglers to sea each year. "If we can't fish for red snapper, we'll probably lose 90 percent of our business."

A 2008 stock assessment, the latest by the National Marine Fisheries Service, says the Atlantic snapper is in peril from being caught by fishermen faster than they can sustainably reproduce for almost 50 years.

Researchers estimate the total population of spawning females in the Atlantic has dipped to 375 metric tons — about 3 percent of what's deemed a healthy population.

"There's not a lot of alternatives other than to close it down for some period of time," said Roy Crabtree, the Fisheries Service's southeast regional administrator, who also sits on a federal council considering a ban.

If all hurdles are cleared, a ban could take effect by the summer spawning season.

But the proposed ban has fishermen baffled. They insist red snapper stocks are rebounding after 1992 regulations required them to throw back any snapper under 20 inches and also limited recreational anglers — who catch three-quarters of all Atlantic snappers — to two fish per trip.

"Red snapper, my God, it's the best fishing I've seen in 10 years," said Bill Stewart, a Sebastian, Fla., charter captain.

Scientists say some unusually strong spawning seasons several years ago are confusing fishermen who are seeing a glut of larger fish at or above the 20-inch limit.

Environmental groups insist even a temporary ban in the Atlantic won't be enough to help the red snapper recover, noting many die as unwanted bycatch of fishermen pursuing other species. They support a more comprehensive action that the council is drafting on a range of fish species.

"Drastic action is needed to rebuild this fishery," said Holly Binns, who heads the Pew Environment Group's campaign to end overfishing in the South.

___
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They ought to rebuild the Pew Foundation.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The Pew Foundation Is the puppet master for PETA and many anti fishing groups. They hire their own scientists to find what THEY want and because they have crazy money they can push their ideas and views.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Is there "ANY" possibility that the comercial fishermen would find what "THEY" were over fishing if they had the only call?.........................Just wonderin. I find it hard to believe that they would limit themselves. I can tell you that in Florida comercial fishermen fought the "BAN THE NETS" campain tooth and nail. I can also tell you that the fishing and bait in the bay is ten fold better since it passed. Those same comercial netters that used to gill 90% of the row mullet now make about the same cash cast netting the much larger schools now in the bay. The trout, snook and red fishing is much, much better as well. Conservation is not a bad thing.

ScottD
Buju

Post by Buju »

Conservation is not a bad thing.
Absolutley, as long as it is applied correctly and pertaining to real research and scientific findings.
Problem with the NMFS is they seldom differentiate between commercial harvest -vs- recreational angling... Too many 'special interest groups' and bogus data and research.
The net ban was instrumental in directly improving the whole inshore ecosystem, with indirect imrovements on the reef and offshore scene as well. But that wasn't because of NMFS science and law. That was a "grassroots" (hate that term) effort of thousands of recreational anglers from all over the Gulf and S. Atlantic coast, mainly in the unified form of the CCA. Great organization. Join CCA!
recreational anglers — who catch three-quarters of all Atlantic snappers — to two fish per trip.
That sounds like it may be some of that NMFS bogus data... That figure just dosen't sit right with me, I understand their excluding the Gulf harvest. But still... come on... BS.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It's total crap. Their figures are made up.

I've been ranting for years about how NOAA / NMFS should be a division of the Department of the Interior, instead of the Department of Commerce.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

MIke, are you saying there right or wrong?

Or are you saying nobody knows?

ScottD
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm suggesting that the focus of the Dept of Commerce is........ Commerce. I'm suggesting that they will report whatever is in the best interest of business, not the weekend fisherman.

The one exception being the Striped Bass. This was an issue that was too politically charged even for the fishing lobby. But it makes me sick when I hear people bragging about catching a 16 pound Cod.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Not to cause trouble, But. Intensive harvesting of the largest fish over many decades, while leaving the small More.. fish behind, may have unintentionally genetically reprogrammed many species to grow smaller, said lead author Dr. David O. Conover, Professor and Dean of the Stony Brook University School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences in Long Island, New York.

Although Charles Darwin showed 150 years ago that evolution equips life forms to be better adapted to prosper in their environment, unnatural evolution caused by man's size-selective fishing is causing fish to be smaller, less fertile, and competitively disadvantaged. This has also been a loss for commercial fishers who seek big fish for their livelihoods, recreational anglers in pursuit of trophy fish, and seafood consumers who desire large portions on their plates.

This study demonstrates for the first time ever that detrimental evolution in fish can be reversed, and pokes a gaping hole in theoretical models suggesting that genetic changes are impossible to "undo." It is the result of 10 years of research largely supported by a generous grant from the Institute for Ocean Conservation Science at Stony Brook University.

"This is good news for fisheries, but it also shows that reversal is a slow process," Dr. Conover said. "Over time, fish can return back to their normal size but the reversal process occurs much more slowly than the changes caused by fishing. So the best strategy is still to avoid harmful evolutionary changes in the first place".

Current fishery management plans are generally based upon assessment methods which do not incorporate long-term evolutionary dynamics. It could take years before evolutionary change is incorporated into such plans, since the concept remains quite controversial among scientists.

"It took scientists a long time to reach a consensus on climate change, and acceptance of this phenomenon might require a long time, too," Dr. Conover said.

Dr. Ellen Pikitch, Executive Director of the Institute for Ocean Conservation Science, said, "We now have proof that the negative ramifications of common fishing practices can linger for decades, leaving future generations to grapple with a legacy of diminished ocean productivity. It is essential that fishing be transformed to minimize its evolutionary and broader ecological consequences." Evolutionary dynamics are a fundamental principle of ecosystem-based fishery management (EBFM), a holistic approach that considers the connectedness of different species and the links between species and environmental influences, rather than managing each species in isolation. Dr. Pikitch was among the earliest proponents of EBFM, and lead author of a seminal 2004 article in Science on the concept.

"We have interfered extensively with the natural course of things, and while it is very encouraging that the harmful effects of size-selective fishing may be reversible, the length of the recovery period is sobering," said Dr. Pikitch, who is also a Professor of Marine Science at Stony Brook University. "Restoration of ocean fisheries requires prompt and widespread adoption of an ecosystem-based approach to fisheries management."

Fishery management is today largely based upon "minimum size limits," which ban capture of fish below a given size, species by species. With few exceptions, maximum size limits do not exist, so the large fish can easily be "fished out." "This is really bad news for fish because unlike humans, the bigger and older a fish is, the more offspring it produces," Dr. Conover said. "We're talking about a big fish producing ten times more eggs than the same species in a smaller size, but unfortunately, current fishery regulations make it dangerous to be big," The solution is to design regulations to protect large fish, he said. "If we stopped fishing out the largest fish, there would again be a benefit to being big, and genetic changes will occur that gradually trigger a population rebound".
Harv

Post by Harv »

mike ohlstein wrote:I'm suggesting that the focus of the Dept of Commerce is........ Commerce. I'm suggesting that they will report whatever is in the best interest of business, not the weekend fisherman.

The one exception being the Striped Bass. This was an issue that was too politically charged even for the fishing lobby. But it makes me sick when I hear people bragging about catching a 16 pound Cod.
Mike,

correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't the striped bass moratorium several years long?
Has it not had a positive effect and been lifted?
I agree with Buju that if imlemented and carried out correctly, there could be beneficial gains for both commercial and recreational. But when it is a one sided affaier the weekend warrior is on the losing end.
I agree with your position about the Dept of Commerce.
I also agree with you about people bragging about small fish. I remember a few years back, some guy weighed a 90 lb sword at my dock. He thought it was the biggest catch in the world. I guess he doesn't remember the time when swords would average 300-400 lbs.
And don't even get me started with the cockamamie NY fluke regs. Pretty soon we will lose this fishery as well.
Harv
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

I guess than we are on the same page, but am not sure. My take is the comercial lobby says there are lot's of fish, the nmfs not so much. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I can gaurentee that in in
Florida between Tampa and Pensacola the comercial snapper fisherman's take is two or threee times what is recorded. You could make the argument that that means there are more snapper that the nmfs thinks and fishing shouuld be opened up. Or you could say that the comercial fisherman are taking more than is substainable. (My thought) I want comercial fisherman and charter captians ot make a living, but if anyone think's they will regulate themselvese, they are just fooling themselves.

ScotD
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The basic laws of "Natural Selection" revolve around genes. If we correctly assume that a fish got to the large size he has attained because he/she was healthier, stronger, smarter, than most of his/her litter mates, it's genes would pass on to it's offspring at the moment of reproduction. Nature would knock off those that didn't get those good genes, but the survivors with them would have a much better chance of being big smart healthy fish. NMFS and DEC rules basically say you can only kill the big strong healthy ones that would be able to reproduce tomorrow and leave the dumb weak ones who might survive and possibly reproduce in a few years. I think their Gene Pool has been greatly diminished over the years. The answer is slot limits. My opinion.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I can tell you that working for the Department of Fish and Game in Anchorage where most of the annual quotas are set for both sport fishermen and commercial, that for decades the commercial reporting was a big joke and only during extensive surveys of the fisheries did they find this out. Meanwhile, the weekender took it in the shorts because they were blamed for the decline.

This was very true in the halibut fisheries. But then someone rewrote the rules and started requiring the processors to make the reports to fish and game. The fines were harsh for going over quota and you could lose your permit and your boat for doing it once. After that, the process worked and everyone got their share. We went from catching one in a blue moon to having to pull your line out of the water just to eat lunch.

If the commercial guys had it their way, they would fish until there were none left. This nearly happened to a sockeye salmon fishery in the Kenai River. When the processors started reporting, the census became much more accurate and the runs came back to normal.

The only way you could canvas the sport fisherman was a creel census and that usually only entailed some head hunter walking the river banks or a junior biologist meeting incoming boats and taking a census. That only worked on slow days. Come evening on Sunday and all the boats coming back to the harbor, they maybe were in touch with 10 percent of the boats. That was about as accurate as determining how many grains of sand on a given beach by counting the number of grains in a square inch and multiplying it.

And WalterK, that theory has been proven time and again. Just the opposite happens with halibut. No one wanted the big ones because they were too grainy, so consequently, there have been some giant halibut caught off the chain up near 500 pounds. Meanwhile, guys like me were taking the 60 and 80 pounders and throwing the rest overboard.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Harv---

Perhaps I didn't make my point well enough. What I'm saying is that the Striped Bass is a perfect example of what can happen if proper conservation regulations are enforced. Hold on while I rant for a moment.

The Shinnecock Marlin and Tuna Club record for Swordfish was set in the 1960's. That 350+ pound fish was caught 3 miles off the beach. Today you have to go to the Flemish Cap to catch a Sword bigger than 120.

Ever been to the desert in Nevada? It bears a striking resemblence to the ocean floor off of Hampton Bays, from 3 to 60 miles out. Nothing but dead. That's what the department of commerce has done for us in terms of conserving our national resources. It's disgusting. And the draggers have the nerve to blame it on the recreational fishery.

But wait...... Let me just say a few words about the wonderful State of New York. Our tax dollars and transit fares go toward the purchase of subway cars. But when those subway cars are no longer able to operate, you think that some of those cars would be used to build reefs here in NY? Not a chance. We sell them to the highest bidder. There are more of them in the waters off Deleware than there are on the tracks here in the city. New York doesn't care. The Fed doesn't care.

We need to speak up for ourselves.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It doesn't really take much to realize recreational anglers are not the problem 95% of the time.

Man has a long history of ignoring proper management and in the last 20 years, laws have been influenced by lobbyists for the commercial industry including allowing foreign countries to fish our fertile waters all the while they tax and regulate the recreational angler out of the way.

Not being an avid fisherman I don't know if there is a group that represents them. Maybe its the CCA as Buju said, I don't know.

But like the shooting and hunting sports which I am actively involved in, I join organizations that protect and manage that right with local, state and federal govts.
When they don't do what's right for the industry, I yell like a baby who hasn't ate for 3 days.

I've been called all kinds of things by leadership but don't care because the realization is only 3 to 5% of any organization does anything other than send in your dues. They expect that by paying dues, someone else should be doing the work.

Organizations should be held accountable. If they won't do the right thing, form another one.

We only allow this to happen to ourselves because of laziness and being complacent.

Its OUR resources. We can take them back and insist they are managed properly.

If this last election has showed anything, its showed lying sack of crap politicians have to go. NOW. And make sure you spend the time to call them and tell them why they are going.

If you don't, we are all sunk in everything, not just the fisheries.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Not being an avid fisherman I don't know if there is a group that represents them. Maybe its the CCA...
...They expect that by paying dues, someone else should be doing the work.
I think the CCA is certainly worth checking out for anyone who's had enough of the NMFS bullshit. There are definately many folks in the organization "doing the work" and putting the members fee's to work for them.They have chapters in every Atlantic coastal state, including many local chapts.
CCA mission statement and link:
Coastal Conservation Association Mission Statement
The stated purpose of CCA is to advise and educate the public on
conservation of marine resources. The objective of CCA is to
conserve, promote and enhance the present and future
availability of these coastal resources for the benefit and
enjoyment of the general public.
http://www.joincca.org/index.html

Heres a brief list of CCA accomplishments:
PROHIBITED TRAWLING FOR TROUT (Texas 1978). Defined major-minor bait-producing bays, nursery areas (Texas 1979). Outlawed single-strand monofilament nets (Texas 1980). Protected billfish, except swordfish, from commercial harvest (Texas 1980). Outlawed gill, trammel nets (Texas 1990). Obtained game fish status for redfish, speckled trout (Texas 1981). John Wilson Hatchery completed (Texas 1982). Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (Maine) given authority to set limits on fish (Texas 1983). Obtained game fish status for redfish, speckled trout (Alabama 1984). Established saltwater stamp for anglers (Texas 1985). Halted commercial harvest of adult redfish in Gulf of Mexico (National 1986). Won game fish status for redfish, speckled trout (South Carolina 1986). Closed Apalachee, Blakeley rivers to shrimping; placed restrictions on gill nets (Alabama 1987). Obtained game fish status for marlin, sailfish (National 1988). Banned gill netting of flounder during spawning run (Alabama 1988). Won game fish status for redfish (Florida 1988). Banned possession of illegal fishing devices on or near Texas waters (Texas 1989). Prohibited sale of naturally raised, wild redfish (Texas 1989). Banned drift gill nets in South Atlantic (National 1990). Federal District Court upholds game fish status for billfish (National 1990). Intervened in lawsuit to uphold bans on fish traps, drift gill nets in South Atlantic (National 1991). Won approval of saltwater fishing license (Alabama 1991). Amendment to Louisiana Constitution approved, guaranteeing funds to preserve wetlands (Louisiana 1991). Won management of speckled trout (Louisiana 1991). Obtained permanent game fish status for redfish (Louisiana 1991). Won approval of saltwater fishing stamp (South Carolina 1991). Adopted no-harvest regulation for tarpon (Texas 1991). Minimum size, bag limits placed on cobia, amberjack, Spanish mackerel, king mackerel, for commercial and recreational fishermen (Virginia 1991). Federal District Court upholds ban on drift nets in South Atlantic (National 1992). Formed Save Our Sealife Committee to get state constitutional amendment to limit marine net fishing in Florida waters (Florida 1992). Obtained game fish status for tarpon (Alabama 1993). Broke ground for SeaCenter Texas fish hatchery (Texas 1993). Established saltwater license (Virginia 1993). Created limited-entry plan for commercial fishing of black drum (Virginia 1993). Florida constitutional amendment limiting marine net fishing (Florida 1994). Stopped proposal to open sounds to shrimp trawling (Georgia 1994). Banned use of gill nets, purse seines in Presumpscot River (Maine 1994). Protected eel grass beds by prohibiting near-beach squid and scup dragging in Vineyard and Nantucket Sounds (Massachusetts 1994). Federal District Court approves ban on flynets in North Carolina (National 1995). Restricted use of gill nets (Alabama 1995). Outlawed most gill nets (Louisiana 1995). Intervened in Louisiana lawsuit challenging new gill net law (Louisiana 1995). Restricted use of gill nets in Kennebec River (Maine 1995). Placed minimum size, bag limit, commercial quota on speckled trout (Virginia 1995). Approved regulations requiring all commercial shrimpers operating in EEZ to use bycatch reduction devices (National 1996). Banned commercial gill nets in Old River (Alabama 1996). Banned use of tarp nets statewide (Florida 1996). Mandated bycatch reduction devices on all shrimp boats in northeast region (Florida 1996). Intervened in federal, state lawsuits to uphold Louisiana gill net ban (Louisiana 1996). Banned all non-biodegradable gill nets (Mississippi 1996). SeaCenter Texas opened, establishing world’s largest redfish hatchery (Texas 1996). Won commercial quota for bluefish (Virginia 1996). Mandated use of bycatch reduction devices on shrimp vessels (National 1997). Won adoption of bycatch reduction devices on shrimp boats (Georgia 1997). Obtained game fish status for cobia (Mississippi 1997). Secured $2.5 million from Bath Iron Works to remove Edwards Dam on Kennebec River (Maine 1997). Banned commercial fishing within one mile of barrier islands (Mississippi 1997). Restricted purse seining of menhaden in state waters (New York 1997). Outlawed use of gill, trammel nets for black fish (New York 1997). Won passage of Fisheries Reform Act, first comprehensive state fishery reform (North Carolina 1997). Passed first comprehensive state water plan (Texas 1997). Limited number of commercial crab licenses (Texas 1997). Won seat for recreational fishermen on Marine Resources Commission (Virginia 1997). Granted petition by National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) establishing blue, white marlin as overfished; 10-year recovery plan mandated (National 1998). Eliminated striped bass fishing in EEZ through striped Bass Act reauthorization (National 1998). Helped establish new state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Florida 1998). Mandated use of bycatch reduction devices on shrimp trawls in all state waters (Florida 1998). Created "Universal Fishing License," which includes saltwater as well as freshwater fishing (Georgia 1998). Obtained game fish status for shad (Maine 1998). Won no-sale regulation on black drum (Maryland 1998). Helped establish pro-conservation state Marine Fisheries Commission (North Carolina 1998). Intervened in federal lawsuit challenging NMFS requirement that shrimp trawlers pull bycatch reduction devices in Gulf of Mexico (Texas 1998). Won federal, state lawsuits upholding Louisiana’s gill net law (Louisiana 1999). Reduced number of commercial licenses sold to elver fishermen by 70 percent; shortened eel season by three weeks, removed 3,000 nets from Maine waters (Maine 1999). Created Marine Recreational Fishing Advisory Committee to advise state Department of Marine Resources (Maine 1999). Established limited-entry license management program for all finfish not under a management plan (Texas 1999). Eliminated kill citations for black, red drum (Virginia 1999). Stopped attempts to allow gill netting of striped bass along Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (Virginia 1999). Federal Court upholds requirement that Gulf shrimp trawlers pull bycatch reduction devices (National 1999). Helped draft and introduce the first comprehensive longline management bill in the 106th Congress (National 2000). Helped draft legislation that tightened regulations on the possession of illegal fishing gear (Mississippi 2000). Helped initiate the Freedom to Fish campaign to stop the arbitrary implementation of no-fishing zones (National 2000). Bycatch reduction devices become mandatory on shrimp trawls in Texas bays (Texas 2000). Sued NMFS to stop an arbitrary no-fishing zone off the Florida coast (National 2000). Played a critical role in the development and adoption of the first federal fishery management plan for mahi-mahi and wahoo (Florida 2000). Won federal court battle to maintain bycatch reduction devices in Gulf waters (National 2000). Sued NMFS in federal court to reduce excessive billfish, shark and turtle bycatch in Gulf and Atlantic longline operations (National 2000). Provided LDWF enforcement agents with navigation, global positioning and sonar equipment (Louisiana 2000). Raised grassroots funds to protect angler access along the New Hampshire coast (New Hampshire 2000). Successfully worked in establishing regulations to protect spawning groundfish (Maine 2000). Helped fund the creation of near-shore reefs along the Georgia coast (Georgia 2000). Successfully led opposition to closing Gray’s Reef to recreational fishing (Georgia 2000). U. S. Supreme Court issues final ruling upholding Louisiana’s 1995 gill-net ban (Louisiana 2001). Led efforts to set recreational size, creel limits for flounder; new licensing requirements for commercial gigging, commercial size limit, and annual commercial quota for flounder (Mississippi 2001). Reached favorable settlement in NMFS no-fishing zone suit, allowing recreational trolling in previously restricted area (National 2001). Successfully raised $450,000 in cash and in-kind donations to purchase and remove the Smelt Hill Dam (Maine 2001). Reorganization of Menhaden Management Board ends commercial-fishing industry control (National 2001). Texas’ most comprehensive water bill passes Texas legislature (Texas 2001). Helped retool a bill that would have allowed destructive hydraulic dredging of clams in Virginia waters (Virginia 2001). Launched Gulf-wide phone number – 866-WE ENFORCE – to report coastal game violations (Louisiana 2001). Worked through state legislature and private foundations to continue critical funding for Florida’s state saltwater hatchery, resulting in the 1,000,000th redfish fingerling released in Florida waters (Florida 2001). Opposed Texas Shrimp Association petition to close recreation red snapper season (National 2001). Successfully worked for passage of new redfish conservation regulations (South Carolina 2001). Launched first ever Texas crab trap removal (Texas 2002). Helped ensure areas around Mississippi’s barrier islands are included in Department of Marine Resources’ definition of areas closed to commercial fishing (Mississippi (2002). Mobilized to oppose expansion of commercial shrimp trawling in St. Johns River; commercial request was withdrawn (Florida 2002). Provided TPWD game wardens with night vision equipment (Texas 2002). Constructed Bird Island Artificial Reef (Louisiana 2002). Helped pass first major amendments to state manatee legislation in last 10 years, establishing measurable biological goals for manatees (Florida 2002). Convinced Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to begin rule-making process on use of multiple seine nets tied together and "toy boats" used to circumvent net restrictions (Florida 2002). Defeated initiative by commercial interests to allow commercial harvest of Cobia in Mississippi waters (Mississippi 2003). Funded an expanded TAMU study on spotted seatrout catch-and-release mortality (Texas 2003). Launched first-ever derelict crab trap removal program in the state (Louisiana 2004). Broke the $2 million mark in college and graduate scholarships awarded (Texas 2004). Won passage of the Coastal Recreational Fishing License (North Carolina 2004). Banned trawling in the Upper Mobile Bay shallows (Alabama 2004). Funded more than $530,000 in enforcement equipment and research needs for TPWD over past four years (Texas 2004). Secured grant money for oyster reefs in the Bay of St. Louis & Biloxi Bay (Mississippi 2004). Championed efforts to restore southern flounder stocks through harvest reductions, size and bag limits, license requirements and seasonal closures (North Carolina 2004). Bay Debris Clean-up Project surpasses the 1,150 tons of harmful debris removed from Texas bay systems (Texas 2004). Worked through its representative on the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas to implement measures outlawing the practice of shark finning in the Atlantic (CCA National 2004). Instrumental in the effort to secure tideland funds for speckled trout hatchery (Mississippi 2004). One of four members of a cooperative effort called Menhaden Matter formed to investigate the status of menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay to ensure adequate populations for its role as forage base and filter feeder. (CCA National 2004). Intervened successfully in a case before the First District Court of Appeals attempting to circumvent the net ban and bring back gill nets (Florida 2005). Helped establish the first-ever hatchery for southern flounder (North Carolina 2005). Achieved stronger protection for large permit (Florida 2005). Defeated legislative initiative to reduce minimum size of speckled trout (Mississippi 2005). Successful passage of legislation to increase criminal penalties to a third degree felony for flagrant illegal gillnetting (Florida 2005). Worked with the Biscayne National Park Fishery Working Group to curtail and modify proposed no-entry and no-fishing zones (Florida 2005). Sued in U.S. District Court to end overfishing of red snapper by the Gulf of Mexico shrimp fleet (National 2005). Constructed an inshore reef in Perdido Bay with tons of clean concrete rubble (Alabama 2006). Won lawsuit in federal district court to block federal attempt to close all recreational fishing for all species of grouper for three months (Florida 2006). Donated enforcement equipment to Law Enforcement Division of the Department of Environmental Conservation (New York 2007). Integrally involved in the Oyster Shell Recycling Program to improve water quality and create habitat for fish (North Carolina 2007). Led successful national effort to keep open-loop LNG terminals out of Gulf of Mexico (National 2006). Won first-ever harvest cap on the industrial harvest of menhaden in Chesapeake Bay (Virginia & Maryland 2006). Constructed Redfish Point Artificial Reef (Louisiana 2006). Funded $700,000 for construction of a state-of-the-art marine larviculture research lab (Texas 2007). Won a moratorium on river herring, allowing near-collapsed stocks chance to recover (North Carolina 2007). Launched chapters in Washington and Oregon to address marine conservation issues (National 2007). Partnered with Texas Parks & Wildlife Department to retire $200,000 worth of commercial shrimping licenses (Texas 2007). Announced creation of the Building Conservation / Habitat Program (National 2007). Served integral role in the Maryland Artificial Reef Initiative to develop marine habitat enhancement projects (Maryland 2007). Won lawsuit in federal district court forcing NMFS to address shrimp trawl bycatch in the management of Gulf red snapper (National 2007)
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.