Another handgun related question...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Another handgun related question...

Post by IRGuy »

I am in the process of buying a Glock 19 (thanks to the comments some of you made here a while ago!).

Would appreciate your opinions and comments on laser sights.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Properly installed and adjusted they work but, for defensive carry porposes, they're an un-necessary accessory. Remember that your primary defensive perimeter is 25'. Laser sights are really designed for much longer shots. They do, however, give your target a very insecure feeling when the target sees that little red dot on his chest...
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I'm sure others are more qualified, but since you asked, I'll give you my take (I worked ft/pt in a gun shop when I first got out of the service.)

Glock's are dependable, simple and sometimes rougher than other makes. To the G17 would kick rougher than my 1911 (lightweight commander .45acp). I'm like the G23 .40 or G38 in .45 cal rounds than the 9mm. I've aways felt I rather have fewer bigger rounds than more smaller.

As for the laser sight, not commenting from experience but just seeing them in the shop. This one looks good, as long as it doesn't become unaligned over time.

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=1
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have and internal laser in my Glock 37. It is mounted inside the spring assembly. You can not tell there is a laser in the gun. I have only had that gun to the range once in over five years. After shoolting the G17 I was very surprised with the kick of the gun..... it is a 45GAP. I actually forgot to use the turn the laser on. In my opinion if you are using the gun for personal defense do not bother. I probably have 300 or more into the laser set up and I think I would forget to turn it on in a surprise heat of the moment shot. As already mentioned, a good shoot would more likely be within a very short distance and I would not even be using the sights anyways nevermind toggling the laser. Cool factor is there but I would buy another Glock before I spend that kind of money again. They have many differnt laser systems for these guns though if you decide you want one. Prices vary quite a bit.

Side note I would not recommend the G37. Great gun but the 45 Glock Automatic Pistol cartridge is too expensive. It is a hot round but a box of plinking rounds is about 22-25 bucks last time I checked. Stick with 45ACP for those looking into a 45.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have a glock 19 and have since 1993. Great gun. Never had an issue.

I now also have a Glock 30 .45, and am eager to try it out. Pretty rare find here in MA as Glock has not been allowed to be sold here since 1998. Silly attorney general...

Dug
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i just bought one of the new springfield xdm's awesome gun and i loved the look of it with one of the viridian lasers mounted. The only problem is i can't seem to bring myself to spending half the cost of the gun on a laser that like kevin said i'd prolly forget to turn on.

I can say a few companies are starting to make lasers built into the grip that turn on when you grip it. I've seen these on 1911's really cool but i'm sure they're expensive too. Also not sure if they're available for glocks.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're buying a handgun for self defense and turning on the laser is a separate step, it's working against the purpose for which you bought it. Also, if the beam it projects isn't on the person you're aiming it at, he knows it, too.
My opinion only. Walter
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

yea i didnt think they'd have it on the polymer handguns though i have heard of the a sleeve that goes over the grip to activate the laser and the laser itself is still mounted on the rails.

i hear ya on the laser attracting the badguy to you especially in the dark i don't know if it helps but the viridian along with others have the flashlight and laser in one so at least you can see who is about to shoot you first haha.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I love my 40 over a 9mm more stopping power. Plus I can shoot the 40 just as good weak hand vs. a 45 1911 weak hand I suck. But I have not praticed very much with a 45. I love the Glocks over all the copies (Sigma, XD).
My .02

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks to all of you who have, once again, given me good info, which I have factored into my decision to buy a handgun. I realize the 9mm is probably the smallest of the calibers that are usually considered as personal protection weapons, but I also feel for several reasons it is the proper one for me and my situation at this time. (Plus, if it is good enough for NATO it should be good enough for me.) I have bought a Glock 19, which is the midsize frame version of the original 17. Glocks are almost impossible to find locally, and many of the online sources are out of stock as well.

I am looking closely at the Crimson Trace LG 436 (red) laser sight, which mounts just ahead of and attaches to the trigger guard, and has a master switch so it can be turned on or off, but when in the "on" position it is then activated/deactivated by a pressure switch under your strong hand middle finger which wraps around the trigger guard normally anyway.

I feel that in a self defense situation I want all the help and advantages I can have, hence the laser sight consideration.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

Capt.Frank wrote: I love the Glocks over all the copies (Sigma, XD).
My .02

Frank
Apparently you have not had much time with one of the so called glock copies. The only thing in my opinion that is the same with the xd's and the xdm which i own, is they are both polymer. I have interchangable grips, a 16+1 magazine capacity, match grade barrel and a really cool case that it comes with. haha
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Or you can buy a S.W. 629 and scare the intruder right out of the house buy just looking down that barrel.
Rocky.