Cummins Four Banger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Cummins Four Banger

Post by STeveZ »

Check it out. I took these pictures at St. Michaels, MD today.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I love the 5 galon bucket over the air filter. Seems like a lot of motor for that boat. Sitting must be kind a tough. Neat though
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I guess its as good a place as any to keep the spare main engine.

Somebodies always shovin 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag.
Mack

Post by Mack »

For those in the non-Chesapeake regions, what you are looking at is a push boat for the Skipjack (type of classic oyster dredging boat around here) that is attached to.

Back in the old days, oysterman were not allowed to have inboard engines in thier oyster sailing dredge boats. While dredging for oysters, on most days they were only allowed to use sail power. Other days they were allowed to "power dredge" using the push boat to push the sailboat. As you can see, most push boats are all engine- mostly whatever old worn out gas engine was laying around. I beleive the boat in this picture belongs to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime museum and takes a lot of educational trips on a regular basis. Some one got smart and put the diesel motor in!

Not many of these boats still around. The few that are still afloat take tourists out for rides. It is quite an experience to sail one of these boats- big, heavy, flat bottomed, and huge sail area. I highly recommend taking a ride if you get a chance.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce wrote:Somebodies always shovin 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag
That's my line......I am a master at shoving 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound box.....the handiest tool in my box is a shoe horn...Ha

Harry
hb
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

The home made pushboat idea is sort of like a Cape Cod oyster boat I saw launched once.. they drag a big rake sort of device with a basket behind it. Need a lot of HP and a strong boat.

This guy had a home made boat literally made our of 3/4" plywood and 2x4s.. and a big gomping outboard on the transom. He arrived at the launching ramp with the boat in the back of a dump truck, backed down the ramp and dumped the boat stern to into the water. I wanted to stay around until he had to get the boat back in the truck, but missed the fun.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!