Ideal clamps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Ideal clamps

Post by Bruce »

Got to be hands down the crappiest clamp ever made.

Just venting........
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

They used to be good quality when they were all ss, now they make just the band out of stainless and the rest out of ?...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

I have been buying my small clamps from home depot [lawn sprinkler area]. I use them on my winter bubble system, etc. There all stainless. Hopefully they have not changed.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

ok guys i've got a question that kinda deals with this. I'm about to order tbolt stainless hose clamps for my exhaust if i use the tbolt clamps do i still need to double clamp, or do you guys only use one per connection. I figured the clamping force with these clamps must be far superior to the worm gear clamps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I just finished installing the clamps on my exhaust and chose to double clamp the 6" main engine exhaust and single clamp the 2" generator exhaust hoses.

Its just my preference........I inserted the 6" fiberglass pipe in to the rubber hose a distance of 9". Just looked like it needed more than one clamp to me.

I also used Hi Temp silicone (the red stuff) to help seal between the hose and the pipe.

No pics yet! ! !

Harry
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You can get them in titanium, but you have to be careful with them. Titainum tends to stretch a bit. You may need to retighten after a short while.
http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/t ... lamps.html
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

cool company
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Two clamps on everything below the waterline and exhaust, that way if one breaks you still have one holding. They do break once in a while.
PS I bet the screw part of the clamps you bud from Home Depot are plain steel. Check with a small magnet. The good ones that are all stainless are getting harder to find.
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The ABA's are more expensive, but are all SS and are nicely made.

http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/marsh ... p?dept=127
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31