sound reduction products for car

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

sound reduction products for car

Post by Kevin »

I am looking for ideas to reduce the interior noise in my mustang. Took most of the interior out of the car today and the sound absorbing material from the factory is due for replacement.

The car is a 1988 GT with T tops. There are a lot of voids in the sheet metal that if were filled with something I am sure it would be more bearable to drive. Not overly concerned about weight within reason. Long term goal is enough power to split a stock block in half anyways.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Hey Kevin.... Use that foil backed 1/4in. tar type backed sound shield available at stereo installers. it is better than the soft 3/4 or 1in stuff. I am using it in the 1968 Fastback project.
best regards Troy
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Carl

Post by Carl »

I would just make the stereo louder...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dynamat makes a peel and stick product for that! How about 2" of lead backed Soundown!!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Good call on the peel and stick stuff guys. Google came up with that dynamat and other products like it. I may go with FatMat which is same concept as dynamat but cheaper. 100 sq feet is about 130shipped. It is amazing how much filth is under the interior, 20 years worth anyways. It took a while to get all the old stick on stuff out but the new installation will be easier. Taking a break from the boat. I am sure this project will not be finished for a while. Since it is apart thought about installing cage and heavy duty torque boxes.