Cummins repower / remans

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Davidr0007

Cummins repower / remans

Post by Davidr0007 »

I was at the Newport boat show today and was discussing repowers with the cummins rep..I was curious to see if I could repower with remans with no core...He said yes its called a REPOWER with no cores needed ..what if anything can the faithful add to this . is there any pitfalls..A cummins dealer who was also at the show told me the remans are the old mechanical engins and the fits are really to tight for a bertram 31 and too heavy seeing the the 31 lies too low in the water too heavy...What???He recomends new QSB's which cost 7 to 8K more each side...
Another option are the new Mercruiser /Cummins diesels ..What are their claim to fame??
I'm confused.
DavidR
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Go with the tried and true while saving a few dollars!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

He lies. The mech. Cummins 6BTAs are the perfect engines for the B31. He is a salesman, not a smart one, plus he lies. The # of the new common rail Cummins is about the same as the old ones, same 5.9 liter chunk of iron. My experience with the Cummins reps at the boat shows is they are dumb as dirt when it come to details. Ya'll may remember me button holing the Cummins rep at the FLL show about the new engines with the chicken shit little belt driven raw water pump on the top that they had to put there to put the fuel lift pump on the cam gear? Duhhhhhhhhh, not a good idea and they have since done something different. Anyway, ask here vs. the whores at the shows, they don't know doo doo.

UV
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Them's the ticket.

I had a thread on them a little while ago and it was either discussed here or on boatdiesel but these are infact are new mechanical motors.

Everything on the block is new including the block. Should be able to pick up the under 300 hp model for less that $20k per side with tranny and pannel.

They may not be as quiet or quite as efficient as the new QSB's but last just as long.

I think the only knock on them is that in a B31, the yanmar 315 seems to be a faster boat??? don't know all the deatails behind it but that's what I've gleaned from the discussions.

The big question is how long will the motors be available?

br,
JohnD
nic

Remans

Post by nic »

DavidR,

When I was checking out the Cummins remans Tony Athens was very helpful, knowledgeable and professional. Here is his contact if you want - Tony@SBMar.com . They are not available in the 270hp, only at 330hp or higher which from what I've gleaned from the site you would not want to consider anything higher than 330hp for the 31.

Nic
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

David...

Elsewhere on this site a while ago I posted a note about the Cummins remans saying I had been told that they were a temporary measure by Cummins to sell "used, rebuilt" engines that did not have to conform to the new environmental regs. Used engines are exempt from these, even rebuilt, warranteed engines. The owners of two Cummins shops I spoke with plus Tony Athens of the Boatdiesel site all said these were rebuilt with almost all parts new, and all have a warranty, which I believe is the same as a new engine, but I am not 100% sure of this. I have heard prices are about $16,000 each plus transmissions, which are about $3,000 each.Weight is aprox 1,300 lbs without trans.

Hope this info is useful.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

thanks very helpful info
DavidR
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I like the part about the 5.9's being too heavy for the 31. I guess this saleman didn't know that the 31's came with 3208's at one time!
Regards,

Doug L.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Save your money on the QSB's. Not worth the money.
Go with the BTA series in used, rebuilt or reman.

I got less performance out of the 330 QSB's than I have with the Yanmar 315's.
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

thanks Hannibal
Michael Gilmartin
Standing Member

Repower

Post by Michael Gilmartin »

I repowered with 260 Yanmars. I am happy. Other members have repowered with the 240s and 315s.
I have not heard any complaints. When I shopped in 2002-03 the Yanmars were significantly cheaper than the 330 Cummins. I even had room for a 5 Kw genset on the starboard side.
Repower plus the genset ran $55K. 240s would have been 5K cheaper and 315s 5K more expensive.
Others probably did better pricewise but I just wanted to give you an idea. I usually buy high and sell low, that's why I'm still working.
Regards,
Mike G
Feel free to contact me