Reworking Fuel tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill Mckinnon

Reworking Fuel tank

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

I want to reglass the inside of my fuel tank. I have some minor ethonal damage but am converting the boat to diesel and while I have it apart want to fix the tank also. Anyone have any suggestions on what materials to use.

Thanks

Bill McKinnon
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i just finished relining my 165 gallon tank. I'm still using gas but as far as I know the tank had never seen ethanol. The first thing i did was get the tank sandblasted to remove gelcoat and top layer of glass. Thats when i noticed why ethanol affects these tanks so bad. I found a dozen different spots where there was uncured resin the biggest being a 12inch or so square. Anyways I relined the tank using vinyl-ester resin from uscomposites.com It worked out great and i believe its the same resin that the guys building the tanks for high tide marine our using. Also this job is very labor intensive but for a 26yr old. with a new wife and a 9month old son. I didnt have the 4000 dollars to get a new tank. Good luck on your project.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Scooter28,

I've already replaced my 190 gallon tank after thinking seriously of doing the relining bit, but ruled it out based on what I've read.

But, I am curious about your project. Did you use any glass or just use the vinylester resin? Did you pull the baffles and how did you do it? My tanks baffles were attached all around including the top.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more about you ordeal and I'm glad you were able to do it.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Thanks for the info. I am going to sandblast the interior and use the vinyl resin to recoat. Like you have plenty of time and labor sitting around my shop not doing anything right now. Since i am paying them the might as well do something
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

skipper yes i did use glass 2 layers actually the sandblasting eats away really quick at the glass so you must be careful. Also when you hit a wet spot it really goes fast. Also i replaced the baffles with new ones that i made myself. Since the original aluminum ones had bent flanges that rivited to the sides i had to cut the top flange to remove the top section.

Also and this is an important step the easiest way for ethanol to get to the glass is where the rivets hold the baffles. So to prevent this I ordered vinylester frp angles from mcmaster-carr. Then drilled and countersunk holes and used thickened vinylester to bond them to the tank. After doing that I made new aluminum baffles had them irridited(to help with corrosion) and riveted them to the angles. Since the angles are solid vinylester i dont care that ethanol can get past the rivets.

I ordered a 5 gallon bucket of the vinylester and used just about all of it. The resin costs about 150, the glass another 100 or so, and the angles were 50 bucks. So even including the new fuel level sender and the new pickup tube i made i still kept the cost under 500 bucks. Tell me where I can get a tank for that haha.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

scooter- those angle glass pieces may not be fuel resistant, not all vinylester resin is fuel resistant.

I would still caution others who are intending to glass thier already compromised tanks, the problem is the glass adhering to the areas that have been compromised.

Thats why the relining method people are using rely on some sort of primer or tie coat, one that will allow whatever is then laminated ontop of the old tank to properly adhere and cure in the presence of contaminated glass.

Its one thing to get away with it, but its another thing to advise others, I am hesistant to advise people on tank linings out of fear they may not follow directions or that THIER situation might be different then what they think it is or then what I am advising them based on what I know from the tanks I have come across.

Figuring some boats as having double tanks, we have about a dozen linings out there, it still stays in the back of my head hoping the methods hold over time.

What works for some- may not work for others.

It really is best to replace the tank in a boat that the tank can be removed, the boats we are lining do not make that possible- I wish we could just install another tank and get it over with.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

raybo believe me i spent alot of time researching everything i did one of which was to make sure the vinylester angle was ethanol resistant.

i also specifically stated that my tank had never seen ethanol and not having worked on a tank with ethanol damage i would never reccomend doing the relining on a compromised tank. except.....

for the fact he stated he was converting to diesel which obviously has few complications compared to ethanol laced gasoline

Lastly again i never advised anyone to do this but if you have thought about all options available and relining seems the best way to go feel free to ask me any questions and i'll do my best to share my experiances. I can say though if anyone felt like donating 4grand to me i would have ditched my old tank in a heartbeat. haha
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to open the tank and take a hard look at it. After sand blasting I will determine what needs to be done and proceed from there. I did speak with High Tide marine and the gave me a prcie on the new tank. No way am i going to pay that. The boating industry is basically dead at this time all the yards are empty and very little work is going on. Again thanks for all the advice
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

you can get a aluminum tank made for about half the price
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bill-

My current plan, if I get a break from work, is to take my original tank out in the next few weeks or so and get an aluminum tank made. My tank (1969 31FBC) has never been exposed to ethanol, and looks to be in prety good shape. If I stick with my plan on retanking, and I don't have to cut it up to get it out, you can have my tank for a donation to the site for whatever amount you feel appropriate. Just a thought.

John F.
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

John,

If you don't have to cut it up that would be great what part of the workd are you in? How many gallons is your tank?

Thanks

Bill
John F.

Post by John F. »

I live on Kent Island, across the Bay from Annapolis, Maryland. The tank holds about 175 gallons.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bill-

The tank is out, and is in one piece. I'm sure it can stay in my boatyard for as long as I want--at least until early April when I splash. The tank looks fine to me, but I really don't know what to look for. If you want it, let me know.

John F.