43 bertram bulkhead removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

titolugo

43 bertram bulkhead removal

Post by titolugo »

Hello everyone,
I have followed this site for a couple of years without posting since I don't owm a 31 bertram but a 1989 43'. I follow this forum since is the best site for bertram owners followed by the bertram33 and the 25bertram and I have found none for the general bertram population.
I did a complete refit of the exterior on my boat and before doing the interiors I decided that I wanted more power so I am going to start a repower in the next couple of weeks.

I wanted to know if it there is a safe way to remove the below the sole rear bulkhead. My boat has a bulkhead just below the rear cabin bulkhead that is made out of wood. The cabin floor rest on top of an aluminum frame that is supported by four pillars on the anterior end but on the rear by the bulkhead. I was thinking about adding a transverse aluminum bar with the same 4 pillars used on the anterior end and doing a strong low profile bulkhead made out of wood glassed to the hull from port to starboard that would extend up to the cabin floor on the sides.
The main purpose is to be able to fabricate a platform to place the genset just behind the transmissions inside the engine room and to add a second auxiliary genset behind the other engine.
Currently the genset is below the cockpit floor.
I would like some feedback in regard of this possibility without affecting the structural integrity of the boat.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Maybe post a picture if you can.

Putting a generator above and behind the transmission sounds like a good use of space. Of concern would be your acces to the shaft logs. Regardless of your packing (packing glands or shaft seals) this area requires constant visual inspection and worse case real access to.

Again not entirely sure what your trying to do but a pic would really help.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

instead of removing the bulkhead and just relying on a brace across the deck, consider a modified bulkhead, one that will still offer transverse support along the hull bottom, sides, and deck.