Flybridge/Capt. Patrick

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John1964

Flybridge/Capt. Patrick

Post by John1964 »

I recently bought a 67 31 sportfish. Have completely gutted it down to the fuel tank, bridge is detached, windshield half way off. My plan is to raise the bridge by 8 to 10 inches but want to put the windows back in. Should I,or wait, would you make a custom front fiberglass piece or buy the fiberglass insert and add on to the bottom? Also what thickness is the insert in the window area and is this possible? This is a two station model which I really would like to keep this way. Am I crazy? Hope to get some photo's up soon. Might take me a while for I am not to good on a computer. Thanks John
JFS/wood chip
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

John-Patrick would be the best person to ask about this, but wouldn't the raising of the bridge by that much affect the stability and ride of the boat? If you need the height, couldn't you raise the header? Walter
John1964

Post by John1964 »

walter, thanks for the reply. I don't believe it should change that to much. I have the bridge unatached and I don't believe it wieghs more than 1000 lbs. You really wouldn't be changing the center of gravity that much? No more than a tower would. I'm not that tall but all my friends are up as high as 6'8". I thaught I could extend the rear post by glassing inside the existing post, add the front panel and either split the difference between the top and bottom or either or. I have read every page on this sight in the last week or so and am surprised to see that nobody ever did this. I also plan on raising the ceiling in the main cabin area to accept the screens for the electronics,I haven't heard of that either. I will say I am completely amazed of this sight, everyones help and support, and I wish Capt. Patrick lived next door!! I really am not trying to recreat the wheel but just take advantage of every aspect of a completely gutted 31. I look foward to everyones input. Thanks again John
JFS/wood chip
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

John,

Welcome aboard. I'd be leary of doing something like that. I can't really picture what you want to do, but it seems like it would mess-up the lines of the boat. I could be wrong, but no one, and I mean no one will want to buy the boat if you do it.

Unless your friends are helping you with the costs, I'd get some shorter friends!
Regards,

Doug L.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Welcome Aboard!

There is a whole lot more to it than just visualizing a 10" increase of vertical height... The shape of the house is basically a truncated & compressed cone. The stock height is, give or take, 28" from the gunnel to the rolled edge of the house top. 10" is about a 35% increase. A vertical increase will also increase the base of the "cone", but to more than 40%. Keeping the house centered, the bottom of the windshield would be about 6" further forward along with the pilasters landing about 6" further aft. The foot print of the house would also be wider, and none of these increases would match up with the cap coamings.

You'd be changing the porportions of the boat quite drastically, as Doug pointed out. You'd also have a monsterous job getting everything to visually work out.

By keeping your cabin sole as low to the center stringer height as possible and elevating the overhead in the central cabin, you can acheive a head room of about 6' 6". Your tall buddies are just going to have to deal with it...

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Other than the cost of the "boat" You can affect the same changes in a 35' Bertram for nearly the same amount of money as you can a b31. YES REALLY YOU CAN REDO A B35 FOR DAMN NEAR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY AS A B31 (we're using 330hp as a diesel standard in this comparison- downside is when your done you'll have an uglier boat that's much more comfortable to fish)

The head room in that boat will get you closer faster than hacking apart a 31.

Seems to me a cheaper way to keep your friends (from ducking at least).

Once you cut your boat apart its basically yours forever. Kinda like Thudds hattrassssssssssssss (its like a mattrass but will never move- get it!!!!)

If you need sawz all blades I know a place to get them cheap.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I'm going to have to throw in my input and agree with everyone else and say that its absolutley redic to cut up/drastically modify a boat like that for any reason.... Go with Capt Pat's suggestion of raising the ceiling in the cabin or buy a 35........
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
John1964

Post by John1964 »

Good morning everyone. I would have to say that Capt., excuse me, Professor Patrick gave me the solution by just raising the ceiling in the main cabin. Either he never posted these photos before or he is on a new secret mition or this is on his latest project. It seems it might be his latest since I noticed the curved bathroom door as the same as in the side window replacement post from a few days ago. Anyway with all this solved this leads to my next question? With using the replacement front fiberglass windshield insert is it possible to put the original glass in this piece? Or do I have to go another route? Oh yeah, there is no need for any more sawsall blades that part is over, I believe we all know the next step, grinding and as patrick say's grinding aint your friend!! Please let me know the possibilities with the glass and the insert, and the best insert to use who might make this. Thanks again for all the objective comments John
JFS/wood chip
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Indeed, this is my current project, a Sportfish converted to Flybridge Cruiser for Patrick Hancock of San Antonio, TX...

Until recently, the only full replacement of the front windshield, (gelcoated and finished both sides), has been from Bill Holmes in Jupiter, FL. It's a good unit and finished nicely, but has a few quirks and isn't the "plug and play" solution that some think it is.

Carl, of Elite Marine in St. Petersburg, FL, tells me he has one designed and ready for production that sounds like it may be a better fit and more installation friendly. I haven't seen it yet, but Carl is working on getting me images and descriptions of all the parts that he is going to start offering as after market items.As soon as he does, I'll be setting up an image file for him that will allow him to display his wares here on the bulletin board.

Carl doesn't have a website presently, but one is in the works...

Br,

Patrick
John1964

Post by John1964 »

Good morning Patrick and thank you for your reply. I was wondering if you might have a number for carl. John
JFS/wood chip
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Last edited by CaptPatrick on Jan 6th, '09, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

John here is a pic of Carl's insert.

Take a look at this thread, http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=3580