My Machine Shop

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

My Machine Shop

Post by Carl »

Finally got a chance to snap a few pics of what I call, a crowded shop.

ImageImage
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Fantastic! It looks like you can build anything from a widget to a nuclear sub.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Dang Carl that's a shop full of nice looking equipment ! ! !

I always like looking around in the other guys back yard and for sure yours is full of Big Guys Toys.

I'm guessing that you are home bound today because of the COLD weather.........Once again I'm sitting here nursing a Kidney Stone....man! !! them things hurt ! ! ! and the killer is that it mostly sunny outside and in the 70's....just kills me.

Looks like you run a lot of CNC work. How many people do you employe??

I can tell you that the first time I ever ran a metal lathe was 1971 and I still love machining as much today as I did in 71. Machining is the most fulfilling and gratifying work I have ever done with my hands.

I'm sure that you are very proud of your shop and accomplishments and by all rights you should be.......to get up in the morning......go to work...and make a difference........ZINGGGGGG ! !! ! Whata feeling! ! ! !

Thanks for peek! ! ! !

Harry
hb
randall

Post by randall »

geez harry...ive had a few...kinda like a hot knife turnin slow....hope you feel better.

wow carl ...nice shop!!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Is that a real tin ceiling?
Carl

Post by Carl »

It's a real tin ceiling.

No nuclear subs...but lots and lots of widgets.

Harry, sorry to hear about the Stone...but as they say this too shall pass. Sorry couldn't pass that up, another pun, I'm on a roll...

Yes I like looking in others backyards as well, pretty much the reason I posted these pics...it was a follow up to when you posted pictures along with your custom exhaust pipe. It's been awhile, but I was here, camera was here and I had some time till the cycle was over and I could head home.

No I wasn't home bound, I was at work. I have been running 7 days, it's been a rough year or two. Thanks for the compliment on the equipment, we are a work in progress. Started in the marine service end, did some production and assorted jobs, but now we are pretty much a CNC jobbing shop.

10 employees in total, some only work nights and weekends.

I still enjoy machining, been at it since the late 80's when I decided to work for dad and do this for a living. We bought a building and relocated some years later and I became a partner. I like the design and prototype end more, but I pay the bills with machining.

I wish I still had the zing...but the hurry up rush and then wait for your money, call, wait for your money is getting real old again...time to throw out more customers, but then other shops are slow and I hate to lose customers. Not to mention the guy who answers your ad for a job, pleads for the job on Friday and then doesn't show up on Monday.

Ah whatever...

Hope you feel better soon!

Carl
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

carl
nice shop, the tin ceiling was the first thing i noticed, we have huge metel layes in the power plant shop, i think only one person is left in the shop that knows how to operate it if need be, i dont think they have run in 20 years.
Face

Post by Face »

My friend's loft style apartment in downtown Baltimore has what appears to be an identical tin ceiling. It must be 14' high in the apartment.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

When I was getting my shafts, one of the guys on a lathe was making a ball out of a rod, on his break, for fun. It looked like fun.
On the down-side one of my insureds had a man killed when he turned on a drill press, I think, and left something in it (like a chuck?) and it struck him in the temple, a 12 yr employee if I remember correctly, couple of yrs ago now.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

alot of nice equipment. my career got started when i was sweeping floors for a shop but ended up messing around on a bridgeport when i shouldve been cleaning. lol luckily my supervisor decided to mentor me next thing i know im doing 3d models on cnc machines. By the way those haas vmm's u have are the same ones i used to run I miss those days now i just work for the gov't doing sheetmetal stuff. haha its funny in the private sector you get paid crap to do stuff few people have the skills to do. then you go gov't and get way overpaid to do what 8th graders could do. lol anyways i wish you and your shop the best.
Carl

Post by Carl »

That is one area of concern... it don't take much to really get hurt or killed, then again my wife was a secretary in the Trade Center and look what happened there, so whats a safe career...

Scooter28, please don't get me started. What kind of sheetmetal stuff?
Last edited by Carl on Jan 9th, '09, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sim,

Notice how quiet I am on that topic...

:)

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yeah, I tend to bite my tongue as well. But then sometimes...

I visit this forum to get away from work for a little while, kind of like a quick trip to the boatyard and BS'en with friends...only thing missing is the beer.
randall

Post by randall »

no comment
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Sim, did you lose your wife?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Carl

Post by Carl »

No I didn't lose her, that is something I'm truly thankfull for.

She was just outside and decided to move away before they came down, so aside from a couple months to get her marbles back in order, she was fine.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thank god, count your blessings
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sim

Glad to here she was ok. I lost some former co-workers in that disaster.

I saw what it was like for someone to try and get their head back on straight after something like that. In 1993, a friend of mine's wife had just parked her car on the same level as the Van that they used to try and blow up the Trade Center. Believe it or not the concussion from the blast knocked her to the ground and saved her life, because all of the debris flew over her. Then she had to wait for the rescue team to pull her out. She could never go back into the city or be in tunnels or closed in places after that experience. They finally moved to Arizona and bought a ranch.
randall

Post by randall »

like everyone in this town i either knew someone or knew someone who lost a close relative........my friends wife had an appointment there on 911 but didnt like the way her hair looked so she didnt go.....another guy i know ditched work to go surfing because the waves were so good. you never know.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Of course, the stories are never told of the people who ended up there by accident or for whatever reason and died.
They never are.

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Carl

Post by Carl »

cwj wrote:thank god, count your blessings
Yes I do.

Doreen was there for the 93 bombing as well, even has the Welcome Back to the Trade Center coffee cup. That one she had no problem dealing with.

911 was another story, as Tony said she wouldn't leave the house, did not want to be left alone, didn't want anything to do with our 1 year old daughter and when they allowed the planes back up in the sky she would literally start trembling from the sound. After a little counceling and some time she finally got herself together and made it her goal to get back into the city. We are the lucky ones, I try not to think of what others had to go thru, of what could have happened.

Anyway, back to boating.
I just got my 09 summer dockage contract. No rate increase this year, and the price of fuel seems almost cheap. The girls are now old enough to fish by themselves or just keep themselves occupied. Things may be shaping up for the 09 season. At least I'm hoping.

Carl
randall

Post by randall »

andre....your turn to be right