Winter Fishing in N. Carolina

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

Winter Fishing in N. Carolina

Post by CHolgerson »

Are any of the faithful located down in North Carolina (Morehead City, or Hatteras)? I am trying to book a fishing trip together for February and could use a recommendation for a good charter boat, hopefully a B31. I was hoping to spend a couple of days tuna fishing with my brother and my father. Thanks for any help.

Chris
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Chris,

Contact Jim Bailey at Anchorage Marina, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512 (252) 726-4423 ; Fax (252) 727-0074 E-mail : anchorage@coastalnet.com Web addr : http://www.anchoragemarina.net

Jim's the owner of "Buddy Boy" and President of The Big Rock Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament. He knows everybody worth knowing in the fishing fleet.

Br,

Patrick
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Chris:

Capt. Patrick's recommendation of contacting Jim is right on the money. I've spent a lot of time fishing out of Morehead City and Atlantic Beach. If you want to fish for Giant Bluefin, they usually are gone from there by then. I haven't been down there for a while, but February is usually pretty slow.

If you can't get ahold of Jim Baily, I highly recommend Capt. Thomas Wood on the Dancin Outlaw. It is a custom 56 C&L and is a really good sea boat. He is a past winner of The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament, and I have tagged and released 3 GBT on his boat in one day!

At the risk of everyone here beating me up -- January and February is not good 31 Bertram weather or seas down there.

Tom
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

You're correct on all counts. Bluefin season is usually over by February. Most charter boats are hauled then so that they can be ready for yellowfin
in March. I may get a shoe thrown at me for saying but the only reason that a 31 is OK for the bluefins is because of proximity. Most are caught within sight of land, Lots in 40' of water. We fish the warmer, calmer days. Today was mid 50's and pretty flat. Tomorrows supposed to be in the 60's. There's nothing like a heated bridge.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Thank you for all of the replies. If the fishing is not good in February I can plan the trip for March. I would much rather be fishing for yellowfin in March than giant bluefin fishing during the winter months. How is the yellowfin bite in March? I am getting married in April and I would really enjoy tuna fishing before the wedding.

Chris
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Hatteras is more of a sure thing for yellowfin. Yes, we have them then but up the Outer Banks the really have them.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

March is definietly the begining of YF Hatteras north to OI. March here is haul out and get ready for the season. Let me know where you want to fish Hatteras of Oregon Inlet.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA