Steering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Michael Gilmartin
Standing Member

Steering

Post by Michael Gilmartin »

We ran about 150 miles round trip on Saturday. The boat (31 fbc 260 Yannies) seemed to oversteer to starboard. I had to constantly correct. Especially on the way home in a beam sea.
I do not have the really small rudders but do not have Capt Patrick's big ones either. I had some work done over the winter. I hit something last season. A strut was replaced, a cutlass bearing, the port rudder had slipped and was raised back up and I also added hynautic steering. The whole steering platform had to be rebuilt too. I have put about 50-75 hours on since the repairs and did not notice the problem as much previously.
Any suggestions as to what to look for?
As always thanks in advance,
Mike G
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

It could be alot of things.......

Do the rudders have the same amount of toe in
Is the tie bar loose.. is the push bar loose
Is the boat leaning as well (got any big friends sitting on the side)... Is a trim tab sticking... Are you overtrimmed (she'll really dance if that's the case, especially with the stock rudders)
Any fluid in the bilge...hydraulic leaks
Where's the pressure in the resevoir can at
Did you add a big transducer to one side

Give as much info as you can its hard to guess
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I assume you looked down from your stern to see if either rudder has turned for some unknown reason. I know the rudders have to be toed one way or the other to have the boat track properly. Captain Patrick can give you the proper answer and I'm pretty sure you can adjust it from inside of the boat. In that kind of situation if you have an autopilot connected to your hydnautic steering system, pick a heading and hit the "auto" button. The autopilot will compensate for the rudder error. Also the easiest way to deal with coming back on one engine. Walter
Michael Gilmartin
Standing Member

Post by Michael Gilmartin »

Gentlemen:
Thank you both, I guess I'll proceed from the ridiculous to the sublime and as Felix says. "never assume."
1. It may be trim as I was trying to compensate for a starboard lean early in the day. (Caused by ice and the generator)
What is the best method to properly trim a 31 FBC? I have Bennet tabs with two rocker switches.
2. I spoke with the yard, they will check for air in the steering system.
3. My generator (Phasor 5kw) is located on the extreme starboard side and the boat does lean slightly to the starboard in the slip. I plan on relocating my raft next season to help compensate for this.
I'll keep you posted and again appreciate your prompt response and knowledgeable suggestions. That's what is great about this site
Regards,
Mike G