looking for help on a boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

looking for help on a boat

Post by Russ Pagels »

Hi, Has anyone in the northeast, the New Jersey area, had any dealings with Schrader Yacht Sales of Point Pleasant,NJ. Or have knowledge of a 31 bertram named After Seven haling out of metedeconk NJ.thanks for you help,Russ
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Russ I brought my 35B off Schrader. Schrader is a real a-hole; but the salesman was a good guy. He is an older guy with white hair. I thought I knew every bertram around here; but don't ever remember seeing that one. If there is anything do to help out just let me know. I just looked the boat up. really looks nice. I ma sure I can find out the "story" on it. The good news is the pics show it in Carver's yard not Schrader's. Schrader's is one of where they must do all the work. They had to do the bottom paint. When I got to the boat the crew had mixed black and blue to do the back half of the boat. Came out purple. Made them do it again. I can tell you more stories about Schraders. They did handle all the paperwork well and conveyed off my lowball offers. Like I said the salesman was a gentleman.
732-477-7210
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I was on the boat yesterday- needed some salt ice for the beer. Sitting soundly on the bottom and fully iced in (most stable 31 I've ever been on). The boat was done by L&H roughly 10 years ago I believe the engines are of that vintage as well 270's I think. all the work seems to of held up well.

I've seen the engines run prior to ice in, it was cold lots of blue smoke.

The boat needs everything, rub rail, electronics, paint paint and more paint (did I mention paint). Based on todays market and the amount of work the boat needs the only safe offer is a low offer.

A repaint is a minimum of 35K for the whole boat without rub rail and electronics. So base your offers or interest off of that. My opinion is ts a mid 30's boat with lots of work to do. Your buying engines and a name.
Hope this helps.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

JP,thanks for the input, looks like I'll keep on looking,
charlie,thanks for the pictures I don't think another trip to this boat will be needed, again thant you both for your help....and have a Merry Christmas....Russ
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

russ what happened to your old boat or are you looking for another
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

I have seen that boat in the Metedeconk for years. I don't know the owner.

I also don't know how to gauge what anything is worth in these times.

My guess is the selling price is based on the owners situation. If you have to sell today your gonna get hurt. So if your in the market to buy, you have to consider going for the low ball killer deal.

Actually looks like a nice boat, done right with good power. If you can run it back and forth to the canyons with only some cosmtic stuff holding you back, well then they aren't totally out to lunch with the asking price.

If you put something on the market just this year, I can't help but wonder why?.... Why bother, unless your situation dictates the necessity to sell. Divorce, Sickness, bankrupt.... who knows. Some of these boats on Yacht World have been for sale for years. These people obviously don't really need to sell. A boat that shows up this Fall seems peculiar, especially a boat that look so well taken care of.

Russ, I would definetly not walk away based on the coments I've read so far. That looks like a nice boat. I bought a gasser 10 years ago for 38K. If I could do it again, I would have thrown another 25k into a package that was already setup with diesel power.

just my 2 cents,

GOOD LUCK,
Mike Dolan
www.lightningshack.com
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Well, long story short, nothing is wrong with my boat. I mean it could always use a few upgrades, like most our boats. I thought this would be a good time to pick up a diesel boat, as mine is gas, also one that had an upgraded interior. Being 62 I’m getting tired of working on the boat. Even though I have the time now that I am retired. We do not have ethanol down here yet but it may be just a matter of time. The deck would have to be pulled up, the tank replaced, so on and so forth. The boat runs great, just had it out tuna fishing, ran all day on 60 gallons of fuel, cost all of $110.00…..not bad for an all day. Gas is cheaper than diesel down here. Maybe it’s just the winter blues, looking for a change. Of course, selling my boat in this market would be bad timing. Thanks again for all your help and have a Merry Christmas.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Mike,
I was on the boat. It was not quite in the mud when I was on her. It is beat period. Yes it is all cosmetic, but also very expensive to get her up to snuff. L&H did a fine job on the repower, deck work, glass work and interior. The stringers have been totally rebuilt, as has a custom cockpit deck ( the best I have ever seem). I have not seem the running gear; but this boat is not worth any where near 85K. If it was painted and cleaned up it might bring 85K. The windscreen is all scratched up all window frames and rubrail are really trashed; about the worst I have ever seen. The front windows are glassed over and another finne example of L&H's custom work. I have delt with Schrader before. They had the listing for my 35B. It was way over priced as well. The owner was 97 and needed to sell the boat. As it turns out he was very rich and Schrader's must have set the price. They did take my low offer to the owner and we ended up another 10K lower after the seatrials. I got a nice boat at the right price.
This boat is worth no more then 50K as she sits and that is if it seatrials perfectly. Letting her sit in the mud and iced in with the outside temps as low as 16 degrees is just plain stupid.