Dave Kosh's old boat "Can Do It" update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bfenske

Dave Kosh's old boat "Can Do It" update

Post by Bfenske »

I have not been on for a while but this past year I have been trying to learn the boat and fix things that are unsafe or non-functional. I am finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel! I was a complete novice about what to do on a Bertram but I am slowly but surely getting more comfortable with the boat. I still have a few issues and thought i'd give an update and see if anyone had any thoughts on my pending issues. I have had the boat out for multiple "sea trial" runs out by Ft. Myers Beach but unfortunately only got it out once this year on an offshore trip. Looking to get the old "70 FBC" out at least 1/2 a dozen times in 2009. Here is the update.

1. Replaced alternators, belts and batteries.
2. installed on board automatic battery charger.
3. replaced 2 water pumps because of a faulty flushing valve
4. ripped out old engine flushing system and installed simpler one
5. replaced VHF radio
6. replaced port starter ignition switch.
7. replaced float switch on bilge
8. Added packing material to shaft packing gland
9. Changed oil and filters & fuel filters
10. Replaced transmission pressure sending unit

I'm guessing this is probably par for the course... but it just seemed like every time i was ready to head offshore, another problem happened that I needed to fix before heading out. Here are my pending issues

1. one of the rubber boots for my stuffing box (port) was worn and leaking so badly underneath, I had to cut a few inches of it off and re-secure it. It seemed like there was sufficent room to do this because the packing did not appear to be bottomed out. just wanted to know if this should work if the rest of the rubber is good. I have not yet tested it since we re-secured it. i was able to do this because the boat is on a boat lift.

2. My fuel gauge does not work and I'd like to know how to fix, repair or replace.

3. I am not getting voltage to the new transmission pressure sending unit but it needed to be replaced anyway because it was leaking tranny fluid from the old unit because it was rusted through. Not a show stopper but I'd like to fix it soon.

I think Dave was on a very tight budget and he patched alot of things instead of replacing them. I know with him battling cancer he probably was forced to do that. His engine flushing system had 4 3-way valves and it must have had 30 hose clamps on it! One of the 3-way valves was broken and it was directly tied into the discharge of the water pump for the port engine. I changed 2 water pumps before i was able to troubleshoot the problem that this valve was dead heading the pump. I pulled out all of the valves and reinstalled one flushing brass ball valve per engine to flush and only 4 hose clamps per engine now! Sorry for being long winded, but i'd appreciate any comments. Thanks
Buju

Post by Buju »

I'm far from any authority in the matter...
but I've found that the majority of malfunctioning fuel gauges are because of the sender unit in the tank. Should be a small cut out on the top of the tank, usually held in place with several hex screws- remove it and the sender is in there.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Your on the right track.

Tackling a project like that is like eating an elephant........one bite at a time.

Make FOR SURE that the sending unit base is grounded........no good ground no workey

Harry
hb
Bfenske

Post by Bfenske »

I have the transmission pressure gauge ground connected to the starter ground so i'm guessing that wouldn't be the issue. I'll see if I can take the sending unit out for the fuel tank too. Oh, another reason I didn't get the boat out much this past year was when diesel fuel was pushing 6 bucks a gallon it made it alot less appealing to head 70 miles offshore :( I also forgot to mention I had to replace one starter and I rebuilt the other one. A labor of love but i'm not discouraged yet... just hoping in 2009 my efforts will be rewarded with several excellent fishing trips.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I think Harry meant to make sure the sending unit on your fuel tank is grounded. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

All the gremlins you describe are just normal boat stuff. Infrequent use magnifies all of them. I have had every single fault you descibe over the years. If you take a can of red CX and go over the boat two or 3 times a year and shoot every connector, joint, plug, wire, etc it will cut 95% of these problems out. Alternators should be shot with CX once a month if used in salt water. Transmission gear pressure senders are just about the worst for rusting up and getting pin holes in the body....don't be bashful with the CX and HD CX, its magic in a can.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Your correct Walter, that's exactly what I meant to say.

It is rare but I have had a case or two where corrosion built up in the crimped area of the wire connector and would not allow a good connection.

Just because it looks good, or just because it is bolted to the engine block does not mean that you have a good connection......you gotta get pickey

Before Unc Vic introduced me to CX, I used NOALOX to impede corrosion on my crimped on fittings and battery ends.

http://www.idealindustries.com/products ... noalox.jsp

Harry[/code]
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bfenske,
I read your post last week and decided not to reply as it seemed you where ripping apart a good friends boat, "unsafe, non-functional" with a long list and...well I got angry.

I settled down some and I have to tell you, Yep, what you have is a case of the old boat blues. As others have stated in one form or another is that older boats need special care, the components are older and more likey to need service while the newer items are still in the harsh boating environment and need general up keep, so when combined we have more then the usual upkeep, but our Bertrams deserve it. Skip a few things and the following year you have at least twice as much work. I think you know why Dave may have skipped a few things.

Then comes the complacency with an older boat, you learn its quirks, become comfortable with them, learn how to deal with them without correctly fixing the problem. e.g., the prior owner of my boat knew the engines where hard starting when still hot, so unless he was doing a long drift or anchoring up for extended periods he would not shut down the motors. Me, I had to fix that and just replaced the old points with electronic ignition and never had to deal with that again...at least not until ethanol came along.

Every year at least one of my ignition switchs will hang up, I could replace them (and I have), but I know if I cycle it a dozen times or so the next couple of times I use the boat I won't have to rip the Head apart to replace the switch as it will work again until the following year.

Anyway sounds like you are getting the boat back into good running condition. Lots of luck with her and hopefully this year we all get out as much as we would like.

Carl
Bfenske

Post by Bfenske »

I did not mean to bash Dave in any way. He was one hell of a guy and he knew that boat like the back of his hand. Didn't have a mean bone in his body. Unfortunately, with Dave passing away suddenly, I did not get much time with him to learn the ins and outs of his boat while he was healthy. Dave was very resourceful and very good at keeping his boat running. Just letting everyone know i'm doing my best to get the boat back into shape and to where I feel comfortable that the boat is safe for me to take way offshore and get home. That takes some time and I feel like i'm real close now. I truly did love Dave as a person and wish his life wasn't tragically cut short. I not a cocky guy and I was just giving a little background on a "bertram virgin". I really hope I can keep this boat for the rest of my life (just turning 40!) and slowly make improvements as I can afford it. Thanks for the tips.

I also know that Dave was very willing to provide help to anyone on this forum so I apologize if I came off like I was bashing Dave. We have to head out usually 50+ miles offshore here to go fishing so i'm trying to get to know the boat like Dave did to get comfortable with it. If I can afford to make some safety improvements and improve reliability that is what i'm trying to do.
randall

Post by randall »

no prob.....even if you buy a freshly professionally restored boat it will have a list before you know it. everyone here is on the same page...glad you signed up.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

ditto what randall says.........no problem....
we all understand
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bfenske,

In all honesty, I should have kept my mouth (fingers) shut, as I did when I first read your post.

I had a flashback to a time after I bought my 31 from Dad's long time friend. He, like Dave, was a proud steward of his boat. One time when he stopped by he asked about his ol'boat, I just started rattling off things I had done, things that still needed to be done and as I took a breath I glanced at his face. I had embarrassed him...I had to backpeddle quite abit to get him to understand I was very happy with my purchase and I just needed to bring it into a condition I was happy with and how I thought it was the perfect boat to dump my money and time into. After that he would eagerly ask me about where I went with the boat what projects I had undertaken and what was the next project on the list.

Anyway,

I'm sure Dave is smiling somewhere just watching you bring "Can Do It" back to her former glory.

My apoligizes for opening my trap...sorry.

Carl