phoenix secret props

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

phoenix secret props

Post by bob lico »

jp here are the pictures of the "final solution" props i hope you can see from the angle of the picture the skew about 5 degrees.the cup starts from the bottom and goes around the ear and back down the other side about half way.whey beyond a # 5 cup.i have slowed the boat down to 7/8 foward 220rpm under the pin she will run 31.6kns loaded to the snot.you name it i have it onboard and 26 gallons of water with heater,ice in kill box,canyon bound for overknighter and yes the BBQ for steaks at 3am.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hey Bob,

after I square away my mom's estate and get back to normalcy, I want me a pair of those babies also.
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no problem harv for you i will personally go to my prop maker to make exact duplicates.honest it had to be 24 or more attemps with other peoples props (don`t tell them) harv.i wanted to show you a stock pair of dyna- quad for comparison.the four blade has advantages also.if you build on a bahia- mar without tower i would not need the skew.that bridge is like a sail 90degrees to the wind,and has a dramatic effect on prop design.before you start anything on the boat lets talk about balance.i am going to new york boat show dec.14.hope we can get a crew together.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Bob had better be concentrating on selling boats at the show and not fiddling with props!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yea i know and i didn`t tell harv he had better stay friends with charle in freeport,and waterk in montauk because after i play with the injection pump,exhaust and fuel delivery he will have to go to the fish market and buy fish because thats the last stripe bass he will ever see.the best i can do is 4.8 knots with one engine against the current with a 5gallon pail dragging in the stern and docking will be a new experiance at 5.5 knots!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob,
We're just fine with the 4 blades on the boat. Doesn't make much sense to play with wheels for us. The boat still has the original shaft angles so we are pretty much set with the set up we have. Anything faster than the boat is now and the bow will start to come over the top. If I remember correctly you had leveled the shaft angles, correct?

Regarding idle speeds. In the spring we fish a 20x26 w/#5 cup 3 blade. This keeps us at 3.5 with one in gear. I retuned the spoons to run this fast and it works well. Think next year I'll put those wheels on for the fall as well, can't get much below 4.1 with the 4 blades @ 20x25 w#3 cup and this is a little to fast.

Well have a good show I'll be on Long Island in a few months doing the Canyon Runner Seminars again, tis the season.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Harv

Post by Harv »

bob lico wrote:yea i know and i didn`t tell harv he had better stay friends with charle in freeport,and waterk in montauk because after i play with the injection pump,exhaust and fuel delivery he will have to go to the fish market and buy fish because thats the last stripe bass he will ever see.the best i can do is 4.8 knots with one engine against the current with a 5gallon pail dragging in the stern and docking will be a new experiance at 5.5 knots!!!!
Charlie taught me how to drift for stripers. Besides, wouldn't trolling valves make a difference?
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp the only reason i posted this picture was because you and a few pm. ask to see a prop shot when i put phoenix on the hard.i assume "return the spoons"has something to do with playing with the sliding weight on the bunker spoons.i have no idea what that means!!can you really troll for bass at 4.8 knots?sometimes i am lucky enough to fool a couple of blues on a unbrella rig at that speed but bass i have thown everything but the sink trying to outwit a bass perhaps if a wahoo was suicidal and ran that close to the mainland i would have a chance.
yes harv you could use a trolling valve. you only need one,but you have to be smart enough to do it BEFORE the cockpit floor goes down or lose 150lbs of weight and coat yourself in lard.foutunatly i have alot of friends who offer their boats.
incidently jp phoenix shaft angle is 12- 1/2 degrees i would need 10 pages of posting so lets not go there.very,very complicated you must take entire driveline into consideration.rear of oil pan is 1" off bilge.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jp
where on the island are you going to be
Buju

Post by Buju »

Bob,
How does one come up w/ scrap titanium from decommissioned fighter jets? It's not what you know, but who you know, huh?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

buju i fail to mention the differculty drilling multible 1/2" holes in a zig zag pattern for the "U" shaped beds for the engine mounts.there is a west german firm that makes drill bit similar in looks to a regular masonary bit but it is for hard metal.you can drill thru a metal file (as seen at the boat show)like rockwell 62 for you machine shop people.anyways there is also a cross piece on the main bulkhead to interlock both stringers.all welded and power coated white.the f-14 tomcat has been removed from combat and replaced with the fa/18 .the f-14 was made on long island.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

the f-14 tomcat has been removed from combat and replaced with the fa/18 .the f-14 was made on long island.
I understand all that, but what I'm askin is:
How did you get your hands on it?
Was it up for public auction?
You know a guy with access to decom'ed military stuff?
Errr what?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pm
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

your secret is out Bob, I have found a picture of you about to grind the boat for glass work

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

funny you should show that.about two years ago i was given the wish of my life.i must tell you the ship just return from iraq and was offshore around new jersey.i can`t tell much more but here i was 10' from a f-18 super hornet on takeoff will avator crew (green shirts) commarder took off with after burners as he would with full combat armament -gone in 2 seconds!!! docked in virginia after 3 day cruise.what a blast even ate in the forward mess with crew.oldest man on board by far took 6 avators home and wife cook up 10 course meal before cruise (docked in ny).they were at war for 7 months it was the least i could do .

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473