More generator questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

More generator questions

Post by kipp »

Narrowed it down to a 3.0kw(at 165lbs.) or 5.0kw (at 307lbs.) Westerbeke. Will put it in a compartment on starboard side. Worried about the extra weight offset to one side. What do the faithfull think? Should the extra weight of the 5.0 be a serious consideration? Will it adversley affect the handling, more so than the 3.0?I like the 5.0 better, but am concerned about its extra weight. Any thougts would be appreciated.
Faithfully,
Kipp
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Kipp we have a 5kW Northern Lights (362lbs) forward of the port engine in Chimera in the cabin (CCV vented to engine box).

After loading the boat (standard fbc)with rafts tools and tackle it sits level. The weight is up front and low but completely empty you can tell there's a genset on that side. We don't notice it running, even with the tabs up you don't have to shift the fat people around.
Not sure where your compartment is but if your supporting the genset off of a hull mounted stringer be sure to spread the load over a wide area so it doesn't poke through the hull down the road.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Kipp,
RR lists to starboard because of gen set.
I use saddle tanks to offset when I can, but never noticed anything underway when I can't.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Good luck.
Andre
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Kipp
I say go for the 5 Kw. The 3 Kw Westerbeke is not the "Same but smaller" unit as the 5 Kw. There is a reason that its a lot lighter.

If you think about it, the difference between the 5 and 3 is only 142 pounds. You may be able to balance out by shuffling other things around....like batterys.

One piece of advise....You MUST have a dedicated battery for the Westerbeke genset.....DO NOT hook up the generator to one of the engine batterys........it could and will blow a fuse that will disable the electronic governor system.....(voice of experience)

So there ya go put the generator on the STBD side and the genset battery on the other side and now you are down to about a 100 pound difference to balance out.........move one of the engine batterys and walla! ! ! your there...

Mo power beez Mo better.

Harry
hb