B31 gas tank R&R

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

B31 gas tank R&R

Post by John F. »

The Anna E. is on the hard, and the tank project is about to start. I figure first step is to syphon all the gas out of the tank, take off the fittings on the top of the tank, and then stick a hose in tank and fill her up with water to make sure all the fumes are out. Sound OK?
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

John,

I hooked up a hose with a pump bulb on it and attached it to one of the fittings coming right out of the tank. If you can get the container you are filling below the tank, it will siphon. I let it siphon and pumped at the same time. I got 53 gallons out and then I puled the siphon tube out and pumped what was left with that and there wasn't much. Once it was empty, I put in some soapy hot water and sprayed it around as best I could. I left everthing open over night and the fumes were all but gone.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
randall

Post by randall »

i used a spare fuel pump from the austin healey. hooked up to a 12 volt battery with looooong wires....worked great. i hooked it right up to the gas line going to the engine.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area you can buy a barrel pump that is made for transfering gas and other chemicals. I picked one up for about $30, and just stuck the end straight down into the tank after I removed the float. It will move a lot of gas quickly. Unfortunately its a hand crank. Paid for itself as I took out about 60 gallons.