original 454s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

original 454s

Post by Rocky »

Hi gang, I have a question for you. I just purchased a 1970 B31 (in which I'm very excited about)! Anyway, it has the original 454s, but previous owner had replaced exhaust manifolds with OSCO brand 9011s.The inboard manifolds on both engines tag the engine covers enough to force them both inwards about 3/4". I would imagine there should be no touching at all of manifolds on the boxes when closed. My question is does anyone have or know someone with these gassers and maybe what the geometry should look like, perhaps a part number of riser and manifold? OSCO told me there 9011s are direct replacements. Thanks, Rocky.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I had Chrysler 440's when I first got my Sportsfisherman. It had teardeop shaped Manifolds and the previous owner (or Bertram) cut a notch out of the cover's inner frame to accommodate them. They did touch. When I went to repower, the new Chrysler engines had square shaped manifolds that would no longer fit in my boxes without actually moving both boxes in about an inch and a half, that would narrow my aisle a bit. Osco makes good products, but I wouldn't bet they're "exact" replacements. In most cases the tolerances aren't as close as our engine boxes demand on these V-8's. I solved my problem with straight six Cummins diesels. Enjoy the new boat and welcome aboard. Walter
Rocky

The big 454's manifolds

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Walter for the info, and welcome. Well, about those diesels, I havn't even got the boat in the water yet so I'm going to use the gassers for a while!(pocketbook is light after purchase) I would even consider boiling out original manifolds if anybody has some for sale in decent shape. Rocky
John F.

Post by John F. »

Rocky-

I have a '69 FBC w/1978 454s. They have the log style manifolds on them and fit fine in the boxes. Next time I'm at the boat, I'll try to get some numbers off the manifolds--I don't know what they are.

Welcome.

John
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

My Bertram is a 1966 Express. Attached are a couple of shots of my setup. The manifolds were close but no rub.

The engines are mid 90's models and it looks to me that the previous owner changed the manifolds. I never paid enough attention to notice what brand the manifolds are.

This may sound crazy but look at the engines and see if they are mounted level when view port to starboard........if the engines are not sitting level and they happen to be rotated slightly inboard......the manifolds would be moved nearer to the engine box......and on the other hand you may be able to rotate the engines slightly outboard to move the manifold away from the engine box.

Welcome aboard

Harry

[img][img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289 ... Engine.jpg[/img]

[img][img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289 ... enset3.jpg[/img][/img]
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Congradulations Rocky!

I have a 62 Express with 440's. I am fairly sure we have different style engine covers, but I can tell you my covers are bowed around the manifolds as well, more now with the installation of sound insulation.

Carl
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks very much for the help guys. I will check for turned inboard engines, which I think both definitely show just that. That of course makes me worry about the beds, or maybe they were never level in the first place. I will use the level boat, level engines theory, and adjust accordingly. Will this throw off alignment to shafts enough to worry about when I level them? In either case, it would be nice to know what manifolds were on the engines for piece of mind. So about the purchase, I bought it from Alex Witaker from this site. Very nice guy. It is a Sportfisherman, but the wife of course wants it to be a flybridge cruiser with stand up head! Maybe I'll convert later. Rocky.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Rocky
If you start rotating, moving or leveling the engines at all you MUST recheck and realign the shafts to the engine.

I kinda thru some lines up on AutoCad and my guess is that if you were to rotate the engine outboard by 2 degrees or so it will move the uppermost part of the manifold 1-1/4".

You got any pics???

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

I have a 75 FBC that we just pulled the original merc 454's out of. My engines were not level and the manifolds were log style with the risers at the rear of the engine. Nothing was twisted or pushed in. We always replaced the riser with Mercs as the pricing was so close. My risers used to have a spacer between the manifold and the riser to give it a little extra height. Had to eliminate the spacer the last time we did the job as the it was pretty well shot and they are not available any more.

I know your engines are probably a little different due to the few years differance and over time, they tended to use different manifolds and risers.
Bill Mckinnon

454"s

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

I am getting ready to take out a pair of 454 and rplace with diesel. I willhave plenty of parts availible. Have two brand new carb's to get rid of if your interested

Capt. Bill McKinnon
Charleston SC
Rocky

Rocky's "new" B31

Post by Rocky »

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's a clean looking 31

Your gonna enjoy her a lot

Harry
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Congratulations. She's real clean. Nice trailer too. Enjoy.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

Nice looking 31. Looks like it was well taken care of.