Air Conditioner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ

Air Conditioner

Post by Russ »

Going to put A.C. in the boat this year. Thou`s of you who have done it, what`s the best location for the unit? How many BTU`s, and which is a good unit. Was thinking under the foward seat in the cabin. Boat is a 31 FBC. Anything I should know? Thanks in advance. Russ
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I have a 1966 Express and installed my AC under the "Kitchen Sink"

I just made a shelf between the 2 bulkheads and put the AC on that shelf.

Do not have pics but I can get some this weekend and will post later.

Harry
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

I put a 12K BTU Cruisair under the forward seat in the cabin, with an outlet on the dash going through the hanging locker. I had to add an outlet into the v-berth, otherwise the temp. difference between the cabin and v-berth was alot. Real easy install. I like the unit in the cabin, as its quieter there when I'm sleeping.

I live in MD where it can be in the hi-90s alot in the summer. I can still turn the cabin and v-berth into a meat locker when its like that--12K BTU is plenty.

John F.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I put a 16k unit in my FBC, under the seat forward of the port aft window. plenum is outbord in the port hanging locker with 2 4" ducts to the galley/salon one 2' in the head and one 4' to the v berth Brrrrrrrr. Ocean breeze unit manufactured in Stuart, all stainless works great and well priced.
Bill
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

actually the duct to the v berth is 6". On the 4th of july at sailfish marina in Palm Beach it was 65 in the berth. His price was pretty much the same for 12 or 16Kbtu
Bill
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

My 12,000 BTU Cruisaire is under starboard counter between sink and head.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
JK

Post by JK »

Would have been under the sink of the starboard side.

http://www.seanile31.com/Site/SeaNile_During.html#5

http://www.seanile31.com/Site/SeaNile_During.html#53

Outlet in the v berth on starboard side, one above the fridge and one in the head. 16,000 btu

--JK
MikeD@Lightningshack

A/C Location

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

I removed the shelving in the head and placed a 12,000 BTU Ocean Breeze Unit in there.

One vent in Birth, One on top of galley. Of course I needed to put a big return vent in the bathroom door. I think it is 12x12 teak.

Fits great, works great... Keeps it as cool as I want at night, on 90 plus days it doesn't make it down below 75 however. Night no matter what temperature it is never a problem. Summer sun on south facing black canvas windshield is tough to overcome.

It has electric heat which is great in the winter time, I went with electric because it works when the boat is high and dry and I am on board tinkering around. The electric heat comes up a little short in anything below 45 degrees. On a windy 27 degree night like last Saturday, my brother stayed on board, he complained to me that the heat wouldn't get it above 55F.

I was actually impressed it did that well!

better than sleeping in your car I guess.

mike
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

72 FBC - Cruisaire 12K under galley counter with outlets in salon and v berth. Works fine but a 16K would be better way down here. Have reverse cycle heat and it will run you out no matter how cold outside.

Tip to remember is that the standard a/c pumps won't self prime unless the pump itself is below the waterline....a B31 rises up so high on the lifting strakes it can be a problem....I had the problem with the pump losing prime at speed in rough seas and solved it with a huge Jabsco flexible impeller pump, but it does make some noise when it kicks on.

UV
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks everyone for your input. Russ
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Wow the 12K btu on my 35B keeps things plenty cool. I don't run the stateroom AC and it died last year anyway. My wife complains about how cold the salon is. I guess the 35B must have insulation somewhere.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Charlie,
Old people are just more cold sensitive........
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Sheeeeet UV must walk around frozen. I think the real answer is fat people need more AC, thin people regulate their body temp better. So you guys that need lots of AC go on a diet.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Mine gets so cold I have to put cameras and bonuculars outside or else they will be fogged up 'till noon.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E