FLIR

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

J Graham

FLIR

Post by J Graham »

I have a Bertram 25 and do conciderable steaming at night. A friend with a larger boat has a FLIR and loves it. His does have the pan/tilt option which is nice but and expensive add. Wondering if any of the board members have this system and if they do would like to hear their comments. Primarily if they think pan/tilt is necessary and does it live up to their expectations. In the Northeast there is a tremendous amount of fishing gear (and the occassional killer log) in the water and it makes dark time travel extremely stressful and painfully slow.
Thank you,
Jim
"WIDGEON"
Harv

Post by Harv »

Brewster has Flir, It's the Cat's meow.
Saw an ad for the latest and greatest Flir unit, it was msrp at 75k.
Harv
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

.....they are a great tool. but I understand there are issues of them holding up to the pounding on a boat.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I have been a self employed infrared thermal imaging consultant for the past 20+ years.. (hence my name IRGuy). I was one of FLIR's independant technical sales reps for about 6 years or so. I still use their equipment today, although I am pretty much semi retired.

If you have any questions about the applications of IR imaging drop me an email and I will be happy to talk with you.

IRGuy@aol.com
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have mine without the pan and tilt. I steer my boat to see. Saved 3 grand. I think that it is better to get a big screen to see with and not slave it to a Northstar and share the space on the screen. It is the greatest thing since radar. Sometimes it does not work, ie, fog, driving spray and huge waves,when everything is the same temp. It is something that I could not live without. I have the Bigbay screen 10 by 15 or something like that and I love it. On the death trip from Atlantis to Montauk it died just as we past the light in ten footers but they are going to fix the screen for free. It was so crappy I cant say it was the screen. I may have gone past its ability to survive. I know Garry Caputti had a nice ride. He may never come back.